tagetes suppressing or imhibiting marestail?

• 7 Replies

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
tagetes suppressing or imhibiting marestail?
« on: July 09, 2012, 09:09 »
An American based site appears to support this!   Does anyone have any experience of this?     The weed mentioned it Horsetail which ios what most of us call marestail
Do you really need al that lettuce/

savbo

Re: tagetes suppressing or imhibiting marestail?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:18 »
interesting but not sure how practical this would be given the kind of widespread infestation I (and I suspect most people) have.

But it would be another reason for growing some in the greenhouse with the toms, cos I have horsetail popping up there all the time

sav

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 13:01 »
I've just Googled this idea which does seem to help BUT - this tagetes excretes a toxic substance and will kill off veggies etc, though not woody shrubs. Don't fancy the ides at all. Another idea I found on a forum site suggested weeing in a container and putting it on them - apparently no regrowth has occurred since!  :blink:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 13:15 »
I've just Googled this idea which does seem to help BUT - this tagetes excretes a toxic substance and will kill off veggies etc, though not woody shrubs. Don't fancy the ides at all. Another idea I found on a forum site suggested weeing in a container and putting it on them - apparently no regrowth has occurred since!  :blink:

what, really?  :ohmy: I've just put them in a row next to my onions .I copied the idea from the Eden project because it looked so pretty  :unsure:

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 13:25 »
It may be just that particular variety - Tagetes minuta - that is toxic. Just for a moment on first read, I thought you meant you had planted mares' tail next to your onions -silly Goosegirl!  ::)

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 22:59 »
It may be just that particular variety - Tagetes minuta - that is toxic. Just for a moment on first read, I thought you meant you had planted mares' tail next to your onions -silly Goosegirl!  ::)

:lol: nooo,  :lol:I don't have to plant that,it's starting to spread onto my plot.I have noticed that it struggles to get passed the rhubarb though.
well,I hope I put the right tagetes in!!

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 11:52 »

I always plant French Marigolds, which are a type of Tagetes, in my Green House and in amongst the brassicas to combat white fly, so this must be a different type of Tagetes.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 13:21 »
I'm sure you're right TerryB, as I have used French marigolds / ordinary and available tagetes with good effect in my greenhouse for my toms and have never had green- or white-fly on them.

xx
Tagetes

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 10, 2007, 02:55
by Trillium
xx
Tagetes

Started by frazzy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 03, 2007, 22:42
by frazzy
xx
Weed suppressing membrane

Started by SnooziSuzi on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 04, 2009, 13:42
by woodburner
xx
Weed suppressing advice needed

Started by Annad83 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2014, 06:40
by Growster...

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 28 queries.