Solid congealed egg with no shell in coop

• 5 Replies

Speckly Sarah

Solid congealed egg with no shell in coop
« on: July 08, 2012, 17:19 »
Just wanted a bit of advice really - The other morning my son went up to collect the eggs from our 5 hens (3 older girls and 2 new ones) and in the nest box was what can only be described as a monstrosity! It was kind of egg shaped but looked a bit like an internal organ (Sorry - Gross I know!) I can only say it look like a yellowish brown, congealed scrambled egg consistency egg. I've never seen anything like it before. I was a bit worried and watched the flock carefully for any signs of illness.

One of my new hens is healthy and happy and laying but the other appears not to be so happy. I think she laid a few odd eggs and then seemed to stop after a few days (I can't always tell who has laid what as old chooks don't lay daily now). She is definitely bottom of the pecking order and often sits with her tail down. Her comb doesn't seem to have grown at all where the other new ones is full, high and bright red. They were both supposed to be about 14 weeks and that was about 13-14 weeks ago (Easter time) and yet one is laying and one isn't.

After the "congealed" egg incident, we had 4 shell-less or soft shelled eggs in a week despite grit being readily available. So this week I kept everyone in and treated the whole flock with Flubenvet for 7 days with no other food source as instructions state. However she's still not looking very happy and appears to still not be laying. It may sound silly but might she hold her tail down because of her place in the pecking order.

Any advice please on (a) What the congealed egg might have been and (b) What I can do to help my new(ish) hen? Thanks peeps - I know I can rely on all you experts!  ;)

wildwitchy

Re: Solid congealed egg with no shell in coop
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 19:06 »
I think I know what your hen laid & ive seen a couple of my hens lay them. They look like rubbery lumps, slightly pinky brown,whitey. I call them ham eggs. It might be worth taking her to the vets incase shes got a bronchial infection or perhaps other infection & needs a course of baytril. Especially if she seems low in herself. But when they are young pullets they can lay all kinds of strange shaped eggs untill their hormones get into the swing of it. I'm sure someone else may have may have some answers. I'll send you a PM.

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 07:18 »
Your "congealed" egg is most probably a "lash" which is the internal lining of the oviduct.

It has most probably come from on of your older hens, and it is likely she will not lay again.

It is quite common and usually nothing to worry about.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 12:44 »
It sounds like a lash to me as well :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Speckly Sarah

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 16:36 »
Having looked it up, I think it was definitely a lash - the pictures online look like what we had.

I read as much as I could about them and one article said that a lash can sometimes be laid by a chicken who is starting to come into lay and usually come from an increase in hormones. Since this post, we've had another lash so I do wonder if this is poor Hetty trying desperately to get it right and learn how to lay. Could just as easily be one of my older ones stopping laying - whose to know eh? I struggle to know who lays what as 3 of my chickens all lay the same colour eggs.

Thank you all for your posts and advice  :)

Sooz

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 21:45 »
It is more likely an older hen who is ending her laying period.
I'm not young enough to know everything!

xx
Egg with no shell in coop?

Started by EmmaB on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 20:06
by niknik
xx
egg or shell

Started by maddog on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 25, 2011, 11:06
by maddog
xx
No Shell!!!!

Started by Grasshopper on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 11, 2008, 19:17
by Grasshopper
xx
Shell-less egg

Started by lmpd on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 07, 2011, 12:46
by joyfull

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 29 queries.