bully chicken

• 3 Replies

yacks

bully chicken
« on: June 29, 2012, 10:40 »
Since losing my top hen her second in charge has took over, however she is only interested in food always has been... She is not sorting out the problems that have arose since taking over. They have been together for over two year's ... The bottom ranked hen has now taken to torturing (that is the only way to describe ) the ducks that they are with ... She is not being told by top bird at all unless she eats ... Have had to lock hens in run so ducks can actually heal and eat ... I don't know if anyone has had same problem or know if they will need to be separated all the time from now :-(

bantam novice

Re: bully chicken
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 21:49 »
You could try separating the bully hen from the rest of the flock.  When she gets back she will to re-establish her place in the pecking order.

I have observed that it is quite often the lower ranking chickens that start to bully newcomers as they feel that their place in the pecking order is more threatened.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

yacks

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 22:12 »
Thank you for you reply ... I have put hens away in small run for today to give ducks a break ... They have all been together for over two years ... I have noticed that the duck being picked on is sitting on a. Clutch of eggs ... Didn't think that khakis  went broody well that's what farm told me and this is first time one of my ducks have sat on eggs ... I am gonna integrate the hens slowly back in with ducks over next week .

grinling

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 22:47 »
my 2 large hens did not like poppy, my bantam, going broody and picked on her more. poppy is now sitting on eggs elsewhere.

xx
Bully Chicken.... What to do?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 09:41
by Geo
xx
bully hen

Started by groves on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 10:53
by jhub
xx
Bully

Started by Pertelotte on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 14:46
by PaulineM
xx
Bully

Started by uba on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 10, 2011, 14:42
by uba

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 28 queries.