Sowing direct

• 13 Replies

Kirpi

Sowing direct
« on: June 11, 2012, 23:51 »
As I gain a bit of experience and results from trial and error, I am realising that I could save a bit of money and save a lot of effort by sowing some of my seeds direct.

I know some seeds are just better off being potted and brought on first before planting out but others germinate well and dont really need cosetting.

What seeds have people sown direct and had good results and what seeds have people found better off being potted first?

For example, I have found parsnips definitely need potting in paper tubes before they go out and peas grow well in guttering before sliding out the whole compost contents into a prepared ditch rather than growing in individual pots, but what results do people get from just throwing pea seeds into a soil trough and covered over? Do they get taken out by slugs and pea weevils?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Sowing direct
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 00:06 »
You are going to get lots of differing opinions on this!

For me

Here's what is best direct:-
Beetroot
Swede
Carrots
Parsnips
Cabbage
Lettuce

Here's what best potted on:-
Onions
Peas (despite DDs advice Im useless! Its the mice)
Sprouts

If I think of any more I'll add.  We grow what we eat so dont have a huge range every year. One of the reasons we grow is to get the basic food cupboard staples.

"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:12 »
I only grow on in containers first if

a) plants need a start indors as they are tender ie tomatoes, peppers, squashes, sweetcorn etc

b) I want something to plant out into spaces left by other crops being dug up, and I need more matute plants to do this, or it will be too late to crop ie leeks, brassicas

c) soil conditions early in the year can be against me planting seeds and I want to get ahead ie spring onions, lettuce, beetroot

d) If I plant direct the mice will eat the seeds ie all peas and beans

So everything else, including parsnips, is sown straight into the ground

Hope that is helpful
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 08:16 »
I've just been thinking about this and this year (because of dire weather) the only things I've sown direct are all the peas and some spinach which was sown in the nice couple of weeks we had much earlier in the year  :ohmy:
I did sow some extra runners next to the poles when I planted the pot grown ones, but not a single one has appeared :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 08:56 »
I've been growing runner beans for longer than anything else and have never had the problems I'm having this year - despite several attempts, 2 different ways of chitting, and sowing indoors I still have only 10 of the 15 White Lady plants I have room for - hard to believe that I would fare better sowing direct, but I'll probably be forced into trying it - you never know..........  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kirpi

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 20:56 »
Interesting replies, thanks.

I seem to be sowing far more plants in modules and then potting onto small plantpots than many of you here, including Swedes and Parsnips. This led me this year to think it is time to take the next brave step and learn to sow direct to save time and money in compost.

I was surprised to hear that people so Parsnip direct. I have been chitting the seed on damp paper towel and then sowing into compost in toilet rolls and planting out while as soon as the tap root reaches the bottom. Monicoddling, I know!

I am trying the pea seeds in guttering right now as I have been sowing one pea seed to a 1 inch module and it is tedius planting them out! Pea weevil chew my pea seedlings quite badly so I need to grow them on before planting out.

Thanks for the replies.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 21:29 »
The only things I sow direct are:
- salad leaves (although I sometimes sow inside as well for insurance
- carrots
- potatoes
- onions setts
- garlic
and radishes. 

I have, on occasion, sowed extra seeds in between plants if they are a bit thin on the ground (usually for peas and beans) but never get a result.

Everything else I have tried to sow direct are eaten by slugs/snails so I start them all in modules or pots.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 21:55 »
I am having an experiment at the moment: I have lots climbing french bean seeds saved last year, so I have dropped 2 handful seeds between the trellis that are currently occupied by pea plants  (which supose to come to end in couple of weeks time) then spread some soil on top, I hope I will get some germinated bean plants by the time I cut out all the pea plants.

to play safe, I also sowed some in pots in case they dont come out as planed.

Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 08:25 »
I have decided the opposite and to plant more in modules next year.Such odd weather and poor germination,at least I know for sure what has come up instead of looking longingly at empty rows! :D

BabbyAnn

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 08:54 »
I was encouraged by my allotment neighbours to start things off at home but as pointed out, time and cost of compost started to get in the way, so those crops that have a wider sowing range tend to get sown direct outside when risk of frost is less and the soil is warmed up (about late April and May) and if the success rate is poor, at least I still have time to do second sowings if necessary.  I find a lot of things sown direct actually grow stronger and healthier than those that I have transplanted out.  I'll never sow a pea in a pot again ....

Anything that needs a long growing season usually need to be started off earlier when the soil temperature can be on the cold side (and germination is slower so never knowing if they'll germinate in time or not) so these are started off in pots/modules at home.  My other plot was riddled with clubroot so I've got in the habit of growing brassicas (cabbages, sprouts, broccoli) on in pots until ready to plant out so they have a good healthy root system before then.  Tender crops like sweetcorn and squashes, toms and chillies/peppers need warmth, so again these are started off in pots at home.

The other good thing about direct sowing is less root disturbance - a lot of plants go to seed when this happens, especially things like coriander, fennel, pak choi etc

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 09:31 »
Because of a few business trips away I haven’t had time grow any brasicas in pots.  Am I too late to get started now, or can I sow directly into the ground?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 09:40 »
You can do either or both  :D I have to start again as slugs have gobbled all of mine  >:(

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 09:46 »
You can do either or both  :D I have to start again as slugs have gobbled all of mine  >:(
How long will they take in pots? I'm worried that I will miss the growing season!  :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 12:30 »
just the same as they would in the ground   ;)
My Tundra winter cabbage packet says sow til the end of May so they'll only be a couple of weeks later than usual.... and spring cabbage can be sown this month as well.

This recent thread should reassure  :)
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=94976.msg1056520#msg1056520

xx
direct sowing now?

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2013, 22:15
by GrannieAnnie
xx
sowing runners direct

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 14:10
by Swing Swang
xx
Sowing Parsnips direct into the ground.

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 22:02
by Yorkie
xx
Success tips - sowing direct

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 13:47
by JayG

Page created in 0.463 seconds with 30 queries.