Tomato problem for neighbour

• 7 Replies

Oliveview

Tomato problem for neighbour
« on: June 07, 2012, 21:49 »
Our neighbour Juan grew his own tomatoes this year instead of buying plants.  They have grown into really bushy plants, look really healthy, but they lack one thing- tomatoes  :ohmy:
He grew the same type last year and had loads of toms, he bought plants last year too and his toms were far better, so he decided to grow only his own from seed this year.
He had fertilised the garden with well rotted horse manure, it was like fine soil,  last autumn and had a drip watering system going.
What could cause no flowers/tomatoes?  Out of about 100 plants he has just 2 toms!  By now he should be picking loads of fruit.  He said he is digging up the plants tomorrow, he isn´t wasting his water anymore (it is metered)
We were banking on him getting a good crop this year as we didn´t plant anything cos of the building work here :(
He also fertilises with what I call  ´sugar´ what ever it is looks like sugar,  he gives them a dose when the plants are young, other than looking like sugar I have no idea what it is! He sprinkles it in a thin circle around the plant.

PAmela

Bing

• Experienced Member
Re: Tomato problem for neighbour
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 22:07 »
Last year Juan might used plants from F1 seeds, they become F2 seeds this year, could that be the reason?
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 22:36 »
That could well be the reason, also whatever he's feeding them could well be causing them to make leaf, not fruit.

It's been said many times, in bold, italics, red,  double underscored, not to feed until the first fruit has been set.

I take it you've missed that!  :lol:

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Oliveview

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 22:54 »
Juan wouldn´t take any notice if I told him not to feed the toms.... he had blight on his potatoes a few years back , so I gave them a BIG roll of bin bags to put the plants in so I could take them to the bins.... no he left them in a heap beside his tomato plants..... result, blighted toms.

I think he bought new seeds this year, I am quite sure he did.  I will ask to make sure.

Pamela

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 09:44 »
When did he sow them? Maybe it's just a bit early yet and the weather hasn't helped. If he bought plants last year they could have been sown really early. I've got ripe fruit on one I bought a couple of months back, but the ones I sowed are no where near that stage.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 09:51 »
Different country, Nobbie!  :lol:

Sounds like overfeeding (unless Juan's "sugar" is actually cocaine, in which case they are probably too spaced out to bother about producing flowers!)  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 10:27 »
Different country, Nobbie!  :lol:

Sounds like overfeeding (unless Juan's "sugar" is actually cocaine, in which case they are probably too spaced out to bother about producing flowers!)  ::)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that might explain what my plot neighbour was drizzling round each of his onions in a small circle, from a plastic bag with a hole cut in the corner --  it did look suspiciously like.........

... and his onions are a loooooooooooooong way apart now  :ohmy:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Oliveview

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 12:38 »
I looked at Juans plants today, there are flowers and leaves galore  but no toms.  I asked if he had bought the seeds this year, he said no, he had saved the seeds from the lovely big toms he had last year and dried them...... so there  is my answer, sterile seeds?
He has done the same with his watermelons too, lots of leaves but no fruit. 

Pamela

xx
Tomato problem.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 17:17
by WhippetMaster
xx
another tomato problem

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 04, 2016, 22:06
by chrissie B
clip
Tomato Problem?

Started by beebot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2020, 19:47
by beebot
xx
Tomato problem

Started by peskypixie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 22:13
by RichardA

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 37 queries.