Success tips - sowing direct

• 1 Replies

Zippy

Success tips - sowing direct
« on: April 12, 2010, 13:37 »
Obviously it would be more economical and more environmentally friendly to sow seeds direct to your own soil than starting in pots of peat or even peat free compost, where possible.

However, apart from seed potatoes and onion sets, I have very little success sowing seeds direct. They mostly seem to get eaten off by slugs as soon as the seedlings emerge.

It would save a lot of time and effort to be able to do this successfully - any tips? I have sandy soil so clay is not a problem.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Success tips - sowing direct
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 13:47 »
If slugs are eating your seedlings you need to do something about them. I use the "organic" slug pellets which do not harm other wildlife but there are many other ways of going about it.

Birds can also be a problem with some seedlings, you may have to consider netting as at least a temporary defence.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Sowing direct

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 12:30
by mumofstig
xx
direct sowing now?

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2013, 22:15
by GrannieAnnie
xx
sowing runners direct

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 14:10
by Swing Swang
xx
Sowing chitted parsnips direct

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 07:47
by plum crumble

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 37 queries.