Is this year a baptism of fire for a noob?

• 24 Replies

Bing

• Experienced Member
Re: Is this year a baptism of fire for a noob?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 22:24 »
Baptism by fire aka character building for allotment holders  :D

Just imagine, in a few year's time when you are talking to newbies at your site, you will be able to say, "oh, it's not a bad year for tomatoes, now 2012 was a really bad year for tomatoes...." ;)

I start everything off in pots or modules, including spring onions planted in the same way as sunshineband describes as I have evil ninja slugs and their fellow warrior snails who eat everything and anything under an inch tall :D

The first year with our allotment, we got allium rust on our garlic, white rot on the onions, choc spot and blackfly on our broad beans, blight on our potatoes, flea beetle on our salads, greenfly on the chilis, peach leaf curl, blight on our tomatoes, wireworm on the early potatoes that didn't succumb to blight, woodlice in our beetroots and turnips, badgers attacking our ripe sweetcorn, mice eating our strawbs, halo virus on runner beans, pigeons eating our pak choi, slugs and snails eating everything else.

We laugh in the face of adversity  :D :wacko: :D :wacko: :D  Exits in hysterical maniacal laughter.......

oh dear, did you take them to see a doctor?
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

grendel

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 07:41 »
well, what has been planted is growing well, except for the peas, and I got those in quickly between showers, but then had to wait 3 weeks for the next opportunity to put the poles and nets up, there are a few short stubby plants fighting the ravages of te birds. the thing that has really done well this year is the weeds, they have outshone all my crops leaving my two half plots an absolute mess. and I dont even get time to weed properly between the rainy days.
Grendel (2 visits in the last 6 weeks or so)
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 08:38 »
Baptism by fire aka character building for allotment holders  :D

Just imagine, in a few year's time when you are talking to newbies at your site, you will be able to say, "oh, it's not a bad year for tomatoes, now 2012 was a really bad year for tomatoes...." ;)

I start everything off in pots or modules, including spring onions planted in the same way as sunshineband describes as I have evil ninja slugs and their fellow warrior snails who eat everything and anything under an inch tall :D

The first year with our allotment, we got allium rust on our garlic, white rot on the onions, choc spot and blackfly on our broad beans, blight on our potatoes, flea beetle on our salads, greenfly on the chilis, peach leaf curl, blight on our tomatoes, wireworm on the early potatoes that didn't succumb to blight, woodlice in our beetroots and turnips, badgers attacking our ripe sweetcorn, mice eating our strawbs, halo virus on runner beans, pigeons eating our pak choi, slugs and snails eating everything else.

We laugh in the face of adversity  :D :wacko: :D :wacko: :D  Exits in hysterical maniacal laughter.......

And you haven't given up??   You are a tough cookie 8)

It certainly is turning out to be a challenging year weatherwise.

A lot of fire fighting is being done here :unsure: Getting the most pressing jobs done in between the rain and as time permits.

Didn't get round to putting up supports for the peas and they have grown through the netting used to stop the foxes and cats cr.pping on the beds >:( So they will have to get on with it.

Some stuff is looking OK but I am reluctant to say what in case fate comes up behind me and bites me on the bum :unsure:

You just have to recite the gardeners prayer........ Next year.............
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 09:25 by Mrs Ball »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 08:40 »
Certainly been a tricky year so far for newbies and more experienced gardeners alike!  :wacko:

Most of the crops we grow are so familiar to us that it's easy to think they are native to this country, but the vast majority originated in far warmer countries than Britain (even broccoli and cauliflower are believed to originate in the Mediterranean area, and peas from somewhere near Afghanistan!)

Most crops like plenty of moisture (within reason!  :ohmy:) but the temperatures are too low at the moment for most summer crops to thrive - hopefully that will change in time to pull things round.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

the4diggers

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 10:56 »
Well, I am glad i am not the only one...

I have decided to go to the fruity side and for the most part my plot will be veg free.

Hopefully, next years problem will be deciding what to do with all the fruit!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 16:43 »
Well, I am glad i am not the only one...

I have decided to go to the fruity side and for the most part my plot will be veg free.

Hopefully, next years problem will be deciding what to do with all the fruit!

That is never a problem ;)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 21:10 »
Baptism by fire aka character building for allotment holders  :D

We laugh in the face of adversity  :D :wacko: :D :wacko: :D  Exits in hysterical maniacal laughter.......

oh dear, did you take them to see a doctor?

Aah, never trust a doctor - doctor's bury their mistakes, gardeners merely compost theirs!

And you haven't given up??   You are a tough cookie 8)

Well, on the bright side, we don't have rabbits or moles!  We did wonder whether we got all the issues simply because we cultivated a plot that hadn't been cultivated fully in living memory (ie we had literally dug up many of the issues).  Who knows!?!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 21:14 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 06:57 »
Well I am heading for the plot today to see what is still standing  ::)

Going to plant out my leeks - leeks are tough and I'm sure they will survive.  Just got to check the courgettes, beans and sweetcorn are hanging in there  :unsure:

Could be joining Angela with the hysterical maniacal laghter later  ;)

It's about the most challenging year I've had so far with veg, so going to make the most of any crops I get and keep on planting in catch crops modules to fill gaps.  A bit of better weather late summer can yield some good  harvests of these  :)

allotmentann

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 07:38 »
Well, I think we are all in this together! My sweetcorn has been shredded by the pigeons. My french beans, both climbing and dwarf are nothing more than stalks and will not recover, my bulls blood lettuce, rocket and mizuna have severe flea beetle, the peas have not grown at all since planted and are ravaged by bean weevil, the outdoor tomatoes are suffering from the cold and look like they may be lost completely, the butternut squash, which were beautiful, big plants when planted out, are turning yellow, the slugs have also had the young globe artichokes, the borage, the basil, the parsley and the french sorrel, the rhubarb which was bought this year is dead or dying from something unknown, someones blow away greenhouse blew away and knocked over my new mulberry tree which i can not get to stand straight again (And it was a beautiful shape. It also bent one of the young branches up almost vertical so it will probably now grow in that deformed shape unless I can do something about it!). It is a good job that I love digging as that seems to be my only success! I don't have lush weeds everywhere! Just nothing much else either! Nice bare soil though - if you like that kind of thing! :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 10:21 »
It is a good job that I love digging as that seems to be my only success! I don't have lush weeds everywhere! Just nothing much else either! Nice bare soil though - if you like that kind of thing! :)

:lol: I tink my plot is going that way too!! My balcony plants are swimming - in my newness at this I didn't think to punch drainage holes in the planters....

xx
Is this worth buying for a noob

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 15:37
by Stratts
xx
Help me plan potatoes (complete noob)

Started by Munchkin on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 20, 2010, 15:03
by Munchkin
xx
Should my seedlings grow so tall? (NooB)

Started by Freerider on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 13:08
by Eristic
xx
Questions from a total noob, hope they arent too stoopid!

Started by balfie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 09:48
by AlixP

Page created in 0.543 seconds with 32 queries.