Honeyberries

• 20 Replies

lacewing

Honeyberries
« on: June 10, 2012, 08:36 »
I bought two good size honeyberry plants last year. The description stated that the berries were sweet enough to eat straight from the plant. The plants are now producing a small amount of fruit and I am disappointed with the taste, very sharp and sour. I am now wondering if there are different varieties with vearing tastes? Has anyone got any honeyberries?
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

allotmentann

Re: Honeyberries
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 16:42 »
Hi Lacewing, I have two honeyberry plants, but only planted this year so unfortunately I won't be able to say what they taste like! I bought them as they are supposed to taste sweeter than blueberries! Was the flesh inside your berries reddish purple? If the flesh is still green, according to the rhs website, they are not yet ripe and will be very sour. I hope this is the case, as if they turn out to be horrid they will not have a place on my plot for very long! :)

lacewing

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 17:01 »
I bought the plants for the same reason as you Allotmentann.  I have read other reports  about the honeyberry and they are said to leave blueberries standing. As for ripeness, the berries were dropping off the plants and I took it as an indecation that they were ready. The inside of the fruit was indeed a very dark red.
My hope is thst as the plants mature, the taste of the fruit will improve, only time will tell!

allotmentann

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 17:43 »
Oh no that does not sound too promising! I always read up before planting 'unusal' things as all too often they either don't taste very nice, or become invasive! I had high hopes for these. Perhaps it is just the lack of sunshine we have had. I do hope that someone else has grown them and can tell us that they are infact lovely! :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 19:23 »
I was thinking of buying some, but I am now goin to wait and see what other have to say, espcially after out goji berry venture  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

allotmentann

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 19:27 »
Hmm! Yes Goji berries are one reason I wanted to be careful about research! At least the Honeyberries should be nice plants for the garden if the fruits prove inedible!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 19:29 »
Our goji berry is now rehomed onto the verge behind our plot, where it can spread its long arms to it's heart's content  :lol:

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 19:39 »
I planted some honeyberries last year. They're growing away strongly, not at all bothered by the weird weather conditions, but no flowers this year so I'll have to wait a bit before I can taste them. They are attractive little plants though, rather pretty leaves. They'd look good planted in the flower or shrub border. I think there's quite a few different varieties, so maybe the taste varies.

lacewing

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 19:41 »
My Goji Berry is re-homed in the compost heap. I am begining to wonder about all these  so called super-fruits they keep coming up with.  Can't wait to see what the next one to hit the press will be.  Don't think I'll be rushing out to buy.

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 19:54 »
I just bought two largish plants myself this year and am waiting for time to clear part of the garden for them. While I like blueberries, I don't find them particularly sweet, so here's hoping honeyberries are sweeter.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 19:56 »
There's always jam :)

lacewing

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 19:58 »
I just bought two largish plants myself this year and am waiting for time to clear part of the garden for them. While I like blueberries, I don't find them particularly sweet, so here's hoping honeyberries are sweeter.

Does your plants have a variety tag, or are they just named Honeyberry?

lacewing

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 20:01 »
There's always jam :)

Yes, but not the reason we bought them!

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 20:04 »
When I bought mine, I couldn't remember if they needed a difference variety for pollination, so I bought two different varieties. Unfortunately one tag fell off, but the other is Indigo Gem.

lacewing

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 20:39 »
I will have to do a bit more research and find out if different varieties have different levels of tart/sweet taste. I seem to recall that the advert for my plants said, sweet, slightly tart, with a honey finish. Sounds more like a wine!
The berries my plants have produces so far, have no sweetness what-so-ever.

xx
Honeyberries

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 20:30
by sclarke624
xx
Honeyberries

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 11, 2013, 03:50
by Trillium
xx
Anybody grown honeyberries?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 24, 2011, 21:17
by Quetzal
question
Recommendations, to grow Honeyberries or Blueberries?

Started by WeavingGryphon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2019, 13:54
by WeavingGryphon

Page created in 0.616 seconds with 36 queries.