Eric is now acting like a cockerell

• 6 Replies

Fiona55

Eric is now acting like a cockerell
« on: June 01, 2012, 12:22 »
Had 4 hens & Eric for approx. 2 months.  Eric has suddenly realised what he was put on earth to do.  First thing in the morning he stands by door of hen house waiting to pounce on his girls.  It is now taking approx 15 minutes for them to brave enough to emerge into the run to be chased & got.  I do not particularly want any chicks - but my husband thought Eric was handsom, so bought him as well without me knowing!  Will Eric's behaviour put them off laying?  Would it be a good idea to think about rehoming him?  thanks

steelman

Re: Eric is now acting like a cockerell
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 12:34 »
Hi Fiona
I must admit that I am often doubled up laughing in a morning when I let our Light Sussex Cock out. He charges about like a maniac, stumbling, tripping and sometimes falling over in the mud. We have between 10-15 hens in with him and he often is so overcome, he can't even catch one of them!
However, the ratio of chickens to rooster is enough to give each bird enough respite from his behaviour. With only 4 hens in with him, you may find that he is too much for them. You don't say what breed he is, but Light Sussex cocks are reknowned for being hard on hens.
If you cant introduce more hens, you may find that you have to let him go.
I once accidently let a Silkie cross  loose in the run and within a few seconds, he had done the deed several times and injured the unfortunate bird ( has since made a full recovery)
Regards
Craig

Fiona55

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 15:16 »
Thanks for your reply, he is a very proud Leghorn as are the 4 hens - I am a novice chook keeper of about 2 months but am already addicted.  Any advice is really appreciated - we do have a farm that has numerous mixed free range chooks & he would be welcome there.

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 15:47 »
If he is just young, then you might have to brazen it out.  Young cockerels can be extremely violent, and young hens/pullets aren't often brave enough to tell him to "b*gger off"

Everything will calm down though over the next few months.

just keep an eye out on those beautiful leghorn combs.  If he tears one (and this can happen easily if the hens struggles) you could end up wth a blood bath!  So would powder and purple spray at the ready!

Fiona55

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 20:44 »
That sounds like a good plan - I will get some purple spray.  Lets hope all is well for the next 3 weeks as I am on holiday & have a chook sitter in place.  thanks for your advice.

Helenaj

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 14:05 »
My old Welsumer Cockerel is getting a little old now and they can easily out run him, but he's a wise old bird and waits until they've got their heads in the feeder and can't see him coming!

I've had to avoid gving them porridge in the Winter now in case he suffocates one!

Fiona55

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 20:27 »
I am not sure Eric will last as long as your old boy Welsumer Cockerel.  Eric is less than a year old & we are not able to have the chooks free range so although they can fly up on to the perches there is not really any escape.  We will just have to see how things go as he may have to be re-homed to a friendly farm.  Cheers

xx
Help with cockerell please!!

Started by rocky on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 07:44
by chickenlady
xx
silent cockerell??

Started by kazzii2010 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 14:20
by joyfull
xx
Moving in and cockerell

Started by Fluff on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 19, 2007, 23:02
by muntjac
xx
One of my hens is a cockerell

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 21:22
by Fat Hen

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 29 queries.