busy busy bees

• 10 Replies

scraigy1982

busy busy bees
« on: May 27, 2012, 20:28 »
Hello all.
We're newbies, both to this site and to allotmenting as a whole - and we're on the beg for some advice.
The lovely people with the plot behind our new veggie haven keep bees. We were quite pleased about this when we took on the plot last autumn, after all, bees are a gardener's friend right?
Well these bees hate us.
In the last week, my father-in-law has been stung three times, I got stung tonight and my other half took a sting to the centre of the forehead when he came to my aid.
It's not like we are doing anything to rile them up either. They just fly into you and BAM!
Does anyone have any tips on what to do? I don't want to cause problems for our neighbours, but digging in a bee-keeping outfit may not be all that practical! :-)
Thank you
S

allotmentann

Re: busy busy bees
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 20:37 »
Hello and welcome. I am sorry to hear that you have a bee problem but can't help ith that I am afraid. I am sure someone will know what to do. Have you actually spoken to your plot neighbours about the problems you are having? It may be that all that is needed is a word with them and a solution can be found :)

scraigy1982

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 20:46 »
We haven't as yet - I haven't seen them about since the problem started. we did think about asking the other neighbours if they have had a problem, but didn't want it to seem as though we were ganging up. :-)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 21:42 »
Welcome to the site and sorry to hear about this.

I'm going to move this across to the GYO forum, although it probably could sit just as easily in the Pets (including Bees) forum!

Does your neighbour have a barrier at least 6' high surrounding his plot, particularly if the hive is near the boundary with your plot?  One of our plotholders has hives right next to a public path and this netting screen makes the bees fly up and over people.

Is this a council site?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kirpi

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 23:57 »
The problem here seems to be that bees fly straight out from the level of the hive launch platform (the door).

If there is an insect screen placed in front of the hive entrance at least 6 feet high, as suggested above, the bees will fly up and over the screen and stay at the 6 foot height as they fly out and back.

Might sound flippant but I mean this - if you speak to them as you work, they will know you are there and are no threat and will take the message back to the hive so other out-fliers know of your presence. I know I'll get some stick for this, but it happens to be true.

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 00:59 »
It's a funny old time of year for bees - we've had two swarms passing through our garden this week - the over-crowded hives are splitting off into 2 colonies and finding a new home - does your bee keeping neighbour manage the bee levels? Could there be an inherent reason why they're more aggressive than usual?

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 13:46 »
You could wear a hat and a mosquito net to protect your face but this isn't a long term solution.  6" high barrier sounds ideal but you obviously don't want to pay for that.
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

scraigy1982

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 14:39 »
Thanks for all the comments, however, there is a high net all around the hive. The bees on our plot are flying along at ground level and keep flying into us. Initally this wasn't a problem, just annoying, but since they started stinging us, they don't seem to stop. I know they release pheremones and have a great sense of smell, but in this weather we need to be down there every day just to keep the crops mosit.

scraigy1982

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 14:41 »
And yes, it is a council site.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 17:41 »
Then it is a public health issue and I think you need to be getting your council involved.

If you were allergic then this could be fatal.

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 21:50 »
in regards to allergys. my other half didnt have an allergy but he got stung 6 times and ended up in hospital. he is a gardener by trade and hardly gets stung and now he has to carry an epi pen so worth getting it sorted out

xx
Bit busy

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 15:17
by Yabba
xx
been busy today

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 01, 2008, 10:50
by philskin
xx
busy in the garden

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 09:49
by Wildeone
xx
Busy week

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 20, 2007, 19:52
by jacnal

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 27 queries.