Mildew

• 5 Replies

cissie

• Experienced Member
  • Every day in every way....it's just not working.
Mildew
« on: May 20, 2012, 11:17 »
This year for the first time iv'e used toilet roll inner's for my runner beans one seed to a roll, the beans are coming up fine but the cardboard has mildew all over, will this harm the plants ?should i brush it off ? or just leave it. Any thought's gratefully received. :)

Kleftiwallah

Re: Mildew
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 12:12 »

I keep trying to grow 'stuff' in toilet rolls and each year is a failure.  Well this is the last year of trying,  I've had mildew each time and the tubes, compost and seeds have always ended up in the compost heap.

The tubes always fall apart anyway.   I should learn from the failure master and give in ! ! !

Cheers,    ???   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

cissie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 12:42 »
Oh dear not good new's. It wouldn't bother me so much but i'm growing for a friend so failure is not an option.If i leave them will they just rot? should i tear away the cardboard and just try to replant in compost? What did you do Tony?  :unsure:Cissie.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 12:59 »

I got totally totally Yah hacked off with poor germination, tubes rotting and falling apart when I just looked at them  :blink:

I've given it a good try, but it aint for me.  I'll stick to machine sourced plastic coffee cups. ::)

Cheers,    Tony.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 13:43 »
It is a fungus but probably not mildew - toilet roll tubes are more prone to it than paper pots because the glue used to hold them together seems to be good "fungus food", but it doesn't seem to do any harm.

Assuming your tubes are standing in a container water them from the bottom, and don't overdo it - this will help to minimise the amount of soggy cardboard and mould growth.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

cissie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 13:55 »
Thank you JayG for your input i'm still hopeful, they are in a container so i'll now water from bottom instead of just tipping the watering can over :D

xx
mildew

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 25, 2014, 14:07
by JayG
xx
mildew.... or maybe not...

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 16:50
by lazza
xx
Mildew, mildew, mildew

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 17, 2010, 11:19
by Aunt Sally
xx
American mildew

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2007, 16:02
by Trillium

Page created in 0.614 seconds with 29 queries.