Feeding seedlings?

• 8 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

Feeding seedlings?
« on: May 17, 2012, 22:02 »
I bought a a very nice (cheap) little gardening book today. It says you should feed tomato seedlings. Then it states not to fertilise until first truss sets. Am I missing something here or what?

JohnB47

Re: Feeding seedlings?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 22:58 »
I wonder if they mean a general purpose feed first then a specific tomato feed when the first fruits set. That works for me. If i dont do that, the seedlings just stop growing because the small amount if nutrients in the compost becomes exausted.

morbidia

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 23:02 »
I was just wondering about this earlier today, my rescued tomato plants are looking quite good today after only one day of being watered, they have all got one small tomato each on them so do you think I should feed them, they are on my kitchen windowsill at the moment but when is it ok to put them outside

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 23:08 »
I've never fed seedlings other than what they get
from the compost they're sown in.
Then if/when they get potted on they get fresh compost, so whatever nutrients they get from that's their lot till planted out (which doesnt seem to be happening any time soon with the current weather)

If the plants had flowers or fruit (depending on what they are) I'd start feeding but usually can be planted out by that stage.

morbidia

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 23:10 »
I should be able to plant mine out then because they have flowers and fruit, I wasn't sure if I needed to wait for better weather as its turned quite cold and windy here this week :(

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 23:13 »
Same here weather wise, it's been chilly and windy too, so I'm keeping mine safely inside and warm till we get better weather :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 09:07 »
If you go through the traditional sowing in a seed tray, then pricking out into modules/small pots, then pot on each time the roots reach the bottom of the pot, there should always be enough new compost for the plants to grow well.

If you sow in modules or small pots and expect them to stay there til they're planted out - then they will need a dilute general feed, just to keep them healthy ;)
It's also a good idea IMO if they get big and still can't be planted out, because of the weather, or potted into bigger pots -like this year  :(

savbo

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 09:18 »
my toms were in 2" pots for a bit too long, and got a bit cold. When I repotted to 3" they sulked for a bit, so I gave them a liquid general feed and not they're looking great. Whether that was the feed or the warmth I don't know...

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 09:31 »
my seeds are started in any cheap compost in modules as all they really need to germinate is the right temp and the right amount of moisture. After that, in the case of tomatoes, I pot them on into a better quality compost then into their final position in a compost/well rotted muck mix.

There is lots of discussion on this site about when best to feed tomatoes and lots of opinions  :) My approach is to feed them with liquid feed when I feel they need it or when I remember, so not very scientific. Crops are usually ok so it works for me  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

xx
Feeding Seedlings

Started by darthpaul on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 15:38
by Salmo
xx
Feeding Seedlings

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 19:56
by Aidy
xx
Should I be Feeding Seedlings?

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 10:33
by Queenie
xx
Should I be feeding my brassica seedlings?

Started by Scottish Mike on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 01, 2015, 13:24
by ptarmigan

Page created in 0.618 seconds with 38 queries.