A complete beginner with unusual conditions

• 12 Replies

Boatdweller

A complete beginner with unusual conditions
« on: May 16, 2012, 16:23 »
Hello all,

My first ever post and looking for some advice.  I have wanted to grow my own veg for years now and it has been continually pushed down the 'to do' list. However, I am determined to start and so looking for tips on where to get the basics explained to me.

As my username suggests, I live on a boat so any growing is going to be confined to containers on the deck (albeit a quite large deck!).

The things I am looking to find out before I get going are...

Is it going to be a problem that my growing area is so exposed? When the sun appears it is scorching on deck and when the wind blows, it is very exposed.

What veg like container growing? Obviously I want to grow things I will eat but would like to know which vegetables are likely to put up with an inexperienced gardener.

Is it worth me looking into composting? Or is this just necessary for larger plots? And is it even possible in my circumstances?

A website or similar where I can find out about the terms I see so often on other pages, 'Chitting' 'Pinching out' etc.

Any advice and pointers much appreciated!

RichardA

Re: A complete beginner with unusual conditions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 16:35 »
one of Johns books is if I remeber correctly about growing in small spaces - might be a place to start.
My own first thought - grow herbs, baby leeks and carrots, cress and salad stuff - high value in small area, usually quite tough and if not can be lifted around to protect it from cold or sun. Many leaves are edible even if plants never reach full size such as peas, beetroot, etc.
I am sure others will have ideas -- go for it. You can even grow watercress - seriously yes you can by using pots stood on trays of water.
R

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 17:37 »
Chitting is what happens when you leave potatoes for a few weeks and they begin to sprout. Some  people use the term instead of 'pre germinate'.
Pinching out is when you want a plant such as a tomato to grow tall but not into a bush. You pick off all the side shoots when they are small.

Welcome, boatdweller.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 17:41 »

Pinching out is when you want a plant such as a tomato to grow tall but not into a bush. You pick off all the side shoots when they are small.

Not necessarily!

It also refers to nipping out the growing tip to actually make a plant bush, just the opposite!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 18:12 »
Welcome to the site  :D

I would be careful about plants / containers that are too tall, such  as runner or climbing beans.  They can become a bit like a sail in windy conditions, and fall over / off your boat, unless you've got them actually tied on to something to stop this happening.

Get a book on container growing and I don't see any reason why you shouldn't have a decent range of crops.  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

The Golden Heap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 18:13 »
how nice a boat, potentially weed free!!!!

Goldfinger

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 18:23 »
how nice a boat, potentially weed free!!!!

...And pest!  :D  No 'wabbits' to come and munch your greens.

Living on a boat??... Are you (maybe) able to move to some where sheltered if weather conditions get really bad, then return when it settles down?

Could this help with your growing?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 19:19 »

As my username suggests, I live on a boat so any growing is going to be confined to containers on the deck (albeit a quite large deck!).

Are you on a permanent mooring or do you wander about the canals and rivers ?

If you're in one location it would be a good idea to add it to your profile so that the advice your are given is right for your area.

If you're moored then even runner beans are quite easy to grow up a wigwam in a large pot - I presume you have no shortage of water ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 19:25 »
Hi boatdweller and welcome to the forum  :D

You already have a lot of advice here, but I would just like to add that wet compost is very heavy so do make sure you have your containers in just the right place on deck before filling them.

There is masses you can grow, and with a smallish space iiwm I would concentrate on things I liked to eat that are expensive to buy or tasteless when bought.

Strawberries spring to mind, blue berries are worthwhile in pots amongst many others.

Look forward to hearing more from you  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 20:39 »
Hi boatdweller, look forward to hearing how you get on    :D there are some great images of moored Dutch barges and canal boats 'decked' out with gardens.  Got a friend living on their sailing yacht working their way through the Mediterranean at the minute - lucky them and you  :D

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 08:03 »

Not necessarily!

It also refers to nipping out the growing tip to actually make a plant bush, just the opposite!

Good point. That covers all the options.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 14:28 »
Welcome boatdweller,

You can try growing herbs that you like in small pots, potato bags for spuds, you can grow peas too. to supplement their nutrients you can find a way to gather free comfrey or sea weed (beware if beach is privately owned so seek permission where needed) and make a tea out of that. in bedford along the roads there is loads of comfrey growing wild and when i take the dog for a walk i will take my nephew with me with a bag and we will gather some of it.

monkeygee

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 16:15 »
just a very quick thought , there is lots of mini veg about now that can be grown in small spaces , even cauli and sprouts are available now , neat and sweet is a brill bush tomato ,
whether is pots , troughs or grow bags , most things can be grown if you chose the right plants or seed , and keep watered or protected
good luck and welcome
know a little but learn a lot every day

xx
complete beginner after advice

Started by Oakfield on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 10:09
by Kristen
xx
Hi I am a complete beginner, what can I start to grow now?

Started by pinkfairy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 15, 2008, 09:53
by compostqueen
xx
Is it too late to start a veg patch??? - complete beginner!

Started by country girl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 13:46
by country girl
xx
Conditions of use?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 20, 2007, 12:22
by Sideways

Page created in 4.374 seconds with 31 queries.