Conditions of use?

• 13 Replies

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Conditions of use?
« on: March 20, 2007, 11:21 »
I received my agreement yesterday, I need to sign and return it with my payment and then I get my new plot. Fair enough.

Problem is, I don’t like the look of one or two of the conditions, they seem a little unreasonable to me. The agreement states that the plot holder is not allowed to erect a shed, greenhouse or any building at all. OK, not a problem, I had no plans to build a shed etc. but it continues-‘ No garden tool boxes or compost heaps are allowed on the plot without the written consent of the farmer’. So, where do we keep our tools? I get the impression the land owner wants us to take the necessary tools with us when we visit and then take them away again when we leave, I guess by using a car.

We live approximately five minuets walk from the farm/allotment and feel the ‘daily’ loading and unloading of tools will become a tiresome experience and detract from the enjoyment of running the plot. Also, as we are so close we feel that having to drive to the plot is a waste of petrol and environmentally unfriendly.

I have written back to express my concerns and request permission to use a ‘tool box’ on my plot for storing general tools, boots, gloves, watering-can etc., etc….. if not, is there a communal tool shed for plot holders to use?

If no ‘lock-up’ is available and I do not get permission to keep a garden tool box, I will probably not go ahead with the plot for the reasons listed above.

Do you think I am being unreasonable? Do you know of plots where tools are not allowed to be kept?
We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Conditions of use?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 11:25 »
Wot no compost heap?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Conditions of use?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 11:30 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
Wot no compost heap?

(agree) Not to erect any building on the said plot. Garden tool boxes, compost bins and water butts and other paraphenalia are not permitted without the written permission of the farmer.

I need to clarify with them, no compost bins but are 'compost heaps' allowed?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Conditions of use?
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 11:31 »
I have read threads where no one is allowed to have a shed or anything and the lotties have to carry all their tools with them, but no compost heap?  what you supposed to do, carry your compost heap with you too?  They go too far I think, but if its priately owned land, I don't suppose there's anything you can do.

Do you know who the farmer is?  perhaps some of you could approach him and ask him why???  Perhaps he's worried the Council might say he'd have to have planning permission for sheds?

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Conditions of use?
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 11:35 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
I have read threads where no one is allowed to have a shed or anything and the lotties have to carry all their tools with them, but no compost heap?  what you supposed to do, carry your compost heap with you too?  They go too far I think, but if its priately owned land, I don't suppose there's anything you can do.

Do you know who the farmer is?  perhaps some of you could approach him and ask him why???  Perhaps he's worried the Council might say he'd have to have planning permission for sheds?

Yes, I have written to them and plan to visit the site at the weekend, hope to ask the farmer to clarify.

GrannieAnnie

Conditions of use?
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 11:39 »
Good luck sideways.  

'They' are always saying they want people to be more environmentally friendly, grow their own, compost stuff, etc etc etc, then they go and put all these obstacles in the way!!!!

Stooopid eh?

muntjac

Conditions of use?
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 11:45 »
wassucks ,,,, erm a litle note to the newspapers might show them up for the asses they are :wink:
still alive /............

frazzy

Conditions of use?
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 11:48 »
i cant believe no compost heap  :cry:  surly the the farmer will see sense good luck.
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

becky

• Experienced Member
    • http://chickentopia.blogspot.com/
Conditions of use?
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 11:52 »
Hi there. That sounds alot like the agreement we have for our plot. The people that own the land where we have a plot, are pretty reasonable though. They just like you to ask before putting anything up. I think our agreement was drawn up for our plots to safe guard the land owner, so no one sticks up anything permanent. Ask the owner of the land about sheds etc.. they might be more willing for such things than you would have thought.
Peas out!

GrannieAnnie

Conditions of use?
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 11:55 »
Perhaps they think that if people put up a load of ugly structures, then leave the lotty, the farmer will have the job of getting rid of it all, but with a compost heap, he can just get his tractor out and plough the lot in!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Conditions of use?
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 12:09 »
I've never heard anything so silly - No shed, well thats not terribly unusual - but no compost heap :roll:  

You'll just have to get a bike trailer Sideways:

You'll even get your compost heap on there  :lol:

frazzy

Conditions of use?
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 12:12 »
omg lol what a brill pic  :lol:  :lol:

muntjac

Conditions of use?
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 12:16 »
that pic is taken in bangkok  its plastic recyling they get abou £2 per bale  and they have to share it with the team they work with usually about 8 kids  the guy will take that from the dumps and then go back n start again . it takes about 4 weeks to collect that amount

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Conditions of use?
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 12:22 »
Great pic Aunt Sally  :lol:  

I was thinking of using one of these-

I could throw the horse muck straight from the bottom of my garden on to the plot......  :D  
(do you think the plot holders next to mine will notice when it starts raining horse poo?  :tongue2: )

xx
Best conditions for courgettes

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2022, 00:18
by Subversive_plot
xx
What will thrive in these dry conditions?

Started by BeggerJohn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 16:12
by catllar
xx
Conditions of tenancy

Started by Markus The Veg on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post November 17, 2006, 00:12
by noshed
xx
Celeriac - growing conditions

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 17:23
by compostqueen

Page created in 1.077 seconds with 36 queries.