WHEN is it going to warm up?!

• 13 Replies

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
WHEN is it going to warm up?!
« on: May 16, 2012, 10:28 »
I have a whole load of frost sensitive things sat in the greenhouse waiting to go out... But considering we are still getting frosts at night that is not going to be for a while!

Still getting over the shock of there being frost on the ground at 7am when I was walking the dogs this morning   :mad: 

Although i've just looked back at last year and I planted squash etc out first weekend of June- so am I being impatient or correct in thinking it is cold this year?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: WHEN is it going to warm up?!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 10:42 »
I would say you are correct and sensible, neither of which makes it feel any warmer though!  :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 10:50 »
It always amazes me how much difference there is in weather just within a few (ish)  miles, here in Pembs we have not seen a frost since the end of March and the weather this week has been fantastic, beach weather all week, the weather forecast say the temp has been around 13 here but in my back garden it has been more 20 and 21 :) Everything has come to life in the garden this week (including the dam grass grrrrr I hate grass!).

It must be on its way to you all, I have my fingers crossed for you ;)

m1ckz

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 11:38 »
they who know say,,,middle of june,,,but i just put some tomato plants out an 2 marrows,,how stupid,,but her indoors wants her conservatory back, so what can i do,,,now she has a seat she can get so lol

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 11:45 »
I'm hoping to get some drarf frenchies out shortly. They are currently being moved in and out to harden them off (in 20-cell module trays so don't want them to get too big before planting date).

Also my squashes are just starting to put their first true leaves out so a few weeks and I hope to have them out too (I did have two early-sown courgettes just in case we had an early summer - they can go in the compost heap now as they're looking very sad).

Come on, Mr Weatherman.
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 12:08 »
Hm not just me then  :blush:

I have a green house full of squash and toms!  The squash are all onto their second set of real leaves but are in good sized pots so thats something.  Last year they were all a bit small and didn't get any fruit from the Butternut so thought i'd start them a bit earlier. 

I started my runners and other beans (berlotti and french- yellow purple and green!) this weekend but they have had to go on window sills as I have seriously run out of space now  :nowink:

wendycas

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 22:43 »
We're a bit further up north and like everyone, we cannot move for seedlings; particularly toms and cukes. The weather is meant to improve next week-do you think we can also start hardening off now as we are seriously running out of space!! :blink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 05:26 »
You can start the process by putting out in the day and bringing in at night, it'll be safe at leat to do that. Hopefully in another week's time it'll be safe to leave out all the time.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

wendycas

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 10:03 »
Oh that's good to know, thanks!  :D We won't know what to do with all the space when things can go out permanently-they've all been inside for so long!!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 13:39 »
My local forecast is saying 17 degrees on Mon and 20 degrees on Tues and Wed, with overnight temps around 10 degrees or more :)

The long range for my area seems to think we'll be keeping warm and settled weather till at least the middle of June, with above average temps.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 13:56 »
Just seen a weather forecast, says it will be warm next week. :(

Why am I fed up? Because this week is our holiday when we usually go to Greece but stayed home this year due to being short of readies. So it has literally been a washout, and we still have the heating on! >:(

I'm sure I'll feel better next week when things start growing at last.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 18:24 »
Weather forecasts schmether forecasts. All weather forecasts on the web said a low of six degrees for last night. My thermometer in the GH said it was zero, which I reckon was right 'cos my martyrs had the chin on big style.

AnneB

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 19:37 »
I started hardening off a lot of my stuff and then had to suspend operations as we had lots of high wind in the week.  Back in it came all day. I will need to start all over again, but it is so cold here - it was only 10 degrees mid afternoon today. 
Hoping the forecast is right and next week will see some warming up.   At the moment we don't have a dining room table.

wendycas

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 21:03 »
Totally know where you're coming from! Some of mine were out shivering today too! Let's keep fingers crossed for next week...! The worry is....if we have another cold snap after that, but I guess we need to carry on regardless or we'll not have any crops this year! :ohmy:

xx
is it warm enough

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 07:59
by Rangerkris
xx
How warm is too warm?

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 17, 2011, 09:17
by Kristen
xx
Phew, it's warm out

Started by Trillium on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2010, 21:21
by Elcie
xx
Veg and a warm wall

Started by amandaandherveg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 22:19
by amandaandherveg

Page created in 0.777 seconds with 37 queries.