Rhubarb

• 3 Replies

Gail

Rhubarb
« on: October 30, 2007, 08:37 »
I'm new to gardening, and next year I'd like to plant rhubarb for the first time.  I'd like to buy crowns, but I'm not sure how many for 2 people.  Can anyone tell me how much rhubarb one crown produces?
Many thanks.
Gail

muntjac

growing rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 08:51 »
one crown at 4 yrs will produce all you will ever need as you can split it into 2 at 2 yrs and then again at 4 ...... long 3 ft wide  bed with loads of well rotted manure in .put the soil backl on the surface  plant crowns 4 inch below the surface on a mound all the way down , pick juvenile leaves 12 inch or so till july then leave to grow and get stronger ,grow through the following year picking as before split in autumn n replant on the same bed about 2-3 ft away depending on bed size as before pick them both as for first eyar crowns .then carry on .after you have the 4 crowns you can stop anytime you like ,every 10 yrs i would split them all and replant on a new bed .feed every winter with more well rotted manure on top but not covering any crown buds :lol:
still alive /............

donald.cape

• Experienced Member
Rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 08:56 »
Two crowns should be enough  I would have thought. You can get two different types then and see which you like best. Some people say you shouldn't pull any for the first year but I did and just made sure there was at least four stalks left on the plant.
The bloke on the plot next to me gave me mine, he splits the crowns when they get to big and leaves bits of them on the ground to get frosted then replants. He says it gives bigger yields.

Gail

Rhubarb
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 21:47 »
Many thanks for the advice, I'll try that.  I'm glad I asked, I was planning to buy 5 crowns and wondering whether that would be enough.  :D

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
Rhubarb

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 08:56
by Robster
clip
Rhubarb

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 22, 2014, 22:04
by snowdrops
xx
Rhubarb, rhubarb!

Started by bikerjohn on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2007, 22:35
by bikerjohn

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 28 queries.