mares tail

• 89 Replies

jjbull

Re: mares tail
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2012, 12:23 »
theres a weedkiller called kurtail that was apparantly designed for marestail but is quite expensive

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2012, 12:47 »
It is also a professional product.

May I suggest you do a forum search and have a look at the previous discussions on it.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

morbidia

• Experienced Member
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2012, 23:38 »
What I hate is that you see a tiny bit and go to pull it up and its then you discover its about 20ft long  :lol: We also laughed tonight when we noticed our neighbours plot has knee high Marestail growing in amongst his crops and we have been panicking over every tiny piece :ohmy:

Don't laugh - keep hoeing!!  :blink: The stuff has a habit of creeping up on you when you turn your back.

It'd make a good sci-fi theme.  :(

I can't hoe my neighbours plot can I ::), I think he would be offended,we have waged war on our plot and  have nearly removed the worst bits, I know it will sprout again but we will not give up hoeing our plot even though most of our neighbours appear to have given up on theirs :(

Paul Plots

« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2012, 15:20 »
What I hate is that you see a tiny bit and go to pull it up and its then you discover its about 20ft long  :lol: We also laughed tonight when we noticed our neighbours plot has knee high Marestail growing in amongst his crops and we have been panicking over every tiny piece :ohmy:

Don't laugh - keep hoeing!!  :blink: The stuff has a habit of creeping up on you when you turn your back.

I can't hoe my neighbours plot can I ::), I think he would be offended,we have waged war on our plot and  have nearly removed the worst bits, I know it will sprout again but we will not give up hoeing our plot even though most of our neighbours appear to have given up on theirs :(

I meant hoe, hoe hoe yours to keep it under control - sounds like your on top ot it.  ;)

(The blessed stuff doesn't create seeds does it?  :ohmy:)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2012, 15:21 »
No, no seeds at all.

Just spores!

Paul Plots

« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2012, 15:27 »
No, no seeds at all.

Just spores!

Now that would make sense - ancient so earlier forms of reproduction. Silly me.  :blush:

Esplanade

• We'll be pushing up the Dandelions ourselves by the time they give us a plot
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2012, 18:25 »
theres a weedkiller called kurtail that was apparantly designed for marestail but is quite expensive

This is a non selective weedkiller. I contacted the address on their website and they are claiming 'grandfather rights' on the product.
This is their reply:
Kurtail is a professional grade chemical and as such should be applied  by a NPTC  Trained operator. At present there is one exception to this rule. If you are applying to your own land and you were born before 1964 you have at present Grand father rights which exempts you from the need for training.
Replanting can take place 3 days after application. Kurtail is a total weed killer and will kill all green material sprayed. Due to the nature of the weed more than one application may be needed for control.

This product has no place on an allotment. Constant removal before it can photosynthesise (starts at approx 4-5cms) and soil improvement is the key to fighting it.

morbidia

• Experienced Member
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2012, 23:39 »

I meant hoe, hoe hoe yours to keep it under control - sounds like your on top ot it.  ;)

(The blessed stuff doesn't create seeds does it?  :ohmy:)

oh right sorry I misunderstood you ::) :D
Not seeds but spores which are just as bad I think  :lol: I am at peace with my Marestail it continues to grow I continue to hoe :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2012, 12:41 »
On the way to the local shops today I spotted a beautiful green patch of mares tail growing through the pavement.

Smack bang in the middle of it there was a huge brown stem reaching up above my head.  :ohmy:
Turned out to be a telephone pole.  :wacko: What a relief - for one dreadful second I thought it was one of those there spore thing-me-bobs!!  :lol:

frizzy

« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2012, 22:37 »
On the street next to my allotment this stuff grows through the tarmac... :ohmy:

Paul Plots

« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2012, 02:08 »
On the street next to my allotment this stuff grows through the tarmac... :ohmy:

The same in our road - prehistoric monster!

morbidia

• Experienced Member
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2012, 23:43 »
its related to the Triffid :ohmy: :lol: I swear some tried to attack me the other day :ohmy:

Paul Plots

« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2012, 02:08 »
its related to the Triffid :ohmy: :lol: I swear some tried to attack me the other day :ohmy:

Perhaps, with a little genetic engineering, it might be trained to feed on foxes, r-a-t-eses and even pigeons.

Who knows it could become a gardeners friend instead of... nightmare.  :lol:

jimpojimpo

« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2012, 08:39 »
Yesterday i hung up four whole bits of mares tail up on the front of my shed as a warning to all the others thats this is what was to come

i don't think it scared them.

Paul Plots

« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2012, 09:38 »
Yesterday i hung up four whole bits of mares tail up on the front of my shed as a warning to all the others thats this is what was to come

i don't think it scared them.

:lol: Good try.... at least those bits might die off in the sun... perhaps.

xx
mares tail'horse tail

Started by flutemaster on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 20:54
by gobs
xx
mares tail

Started by archies plot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 22:51
by fatbelly
xx
mares tail

Started by sizer247 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post January 15, 2013, 14:49
by Paul Plots
xx
Has anyone got Mares Tail yet?

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 23:32
by Ann

Page created in 0.499 seconds with 28 queries.