Something is Eating my Garlic!

• 10 Replies

alexis43

Something is Eating my Garlic!
« on: April 30, 2012, 22:59 »
Last year something cut off my garlic when it was about a foot high. The diagonal cut was two or 3 inches from the soil and the leaves completely vanished!  So...I put a chicken wire fence all around my garden and planted last fall.  Now the same thing is happening all over again!   I have no mulch or refuse in my garden for things to hide in. Whatever it is cuts about 4 or 5 plants per day (or night!)
What is doing this???and how can I stop it???    URGENT before it eats everything!
I live in Montreal Canada, zone 5.
Thanks

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
Re: Something is Eating my Garlic!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 23:31 »
i believe there is a beetle called a cutter not positive but it may be a possibility! other than that wouldnt know what other insect you would have in that climate! ???
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:32 »
I'm in a zone 5 and this time of year the cutworm is very active as it comes out of hibernation. If it is indeed this pest, then place a piece of twig about pencil thickness immediately beside every garlic plant so it rests very closely against the stem and into the soil but without damaging the bulb below (which might not be very large at this point).

The cutworm works by curling itself completely around the base of the plant stem and chewing, but it must be able to touch it's head to its toes, so to speak. By adding the stick, it makes the diameter bigger than the cutworm can manage and it will move on. You might want to poke about looking for this culprit(s) or doing a soil drench of some sort of pesticide. Soapy water works well, and dusting around the stem area on the soil surface with diatomaceous earth work. A neem oil spray might also help, but definitely do the stick trick for now. This is what you're looking for.

If it turns out not to be cutworms, get back to us and we'll try to think what else it could be.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:38 »
That's interesting information about the cutworm. I did not know they did it that way. ..However they would not eat the leaves which they cut off. I would suspect something larger...Something that climbs fences or gets through the holes in chicken wire.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 12:14 »
My chickens love garlic and always do this if they manage to get into the veggie patch in the garden. 

It could even be a cat eating it (in the same way they eat grass) or a bird of some kind who has developed a taste for it like my chickens. 

I guess the only way to determine if it is something bigger than the cutworm is to cover the top of your chicken wire wall with a roof of chicken wire.  The physical barrier may keep out your culprit, but if it is the cutworm, the damage will continue.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 18:23 »
The cutworms could be doing the stalk damage and something else could be running off with the leaves. Stranger things have happened  ;)

I forgot to mention that I also protect all my toms and pepper plants with the stick trick. Cutworms just LOVE them, as well as eggplants and young brassicas. When we get lots of tree branches down, I always save a load of 6-8" pieces just for this job.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 20:05 »

I forgot to mention that I also protect all my toms and pepper plants with the stick trick. Cutworms just LOVE them, as well as eggplants and young brassicas. When we get lots of tree branches down, I always save a load of 6-8" pieces just for this job.
Thanks for that tip - our first young cabbage casualty at the weekend - found the cutworm ''playing dead' about 4" underneath the surface.  Do you just 'plant' the stick up close to the stem with brassicas ? 

Might also try the soapy water trick you mentioned earlier on the rest of the bed - I've only seen that bringing up worms from my memory of school science - thanks

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 21:09 »
Yes, just plant the stick/twig as close as you can get it to the stem of the seedling/plant. What you want to do is not have any space for the cutworm to get through and bypass the stick. If it does, then it can complete its wrap and start cutting. It loves all soft growth of young seedlings, so everything is vulnerable to this pest.

If you've had onion and leek problems like this, then take the time to do this. Once the plants get larger, the cutworm has moved on to its next growth stage and isn't interested. The plant is also too wide for it to damage as well. Eventually the plant pushes the twig aside.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 21:33 »
Yes, just plant the stick/twig as close as you can get it to the stem of the seedling/plant. What you want to do is not have any space for the cutworm to get through and bypass the stick. If it does, then it can complete its wrap and start cutting. It loves all soft growth of young seedlings, so everything is vulnerable to this pest.

If you've had onion and leek problems like this, then take the time to do this. Once the plants get larger, the cutworm has moved on to its next growth stage and isn't interested. The plant is also too wide for it to damage as well. Eventually the plant pushes the twig aside.
Thanks Trillium, will get the rest protected tomorrow with their sticks - much appreciated for the advice

alexis43

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 15:53 »
Hi everyone and thanks!
I've seen cutworm damage, and while this is similar, the pest cuts off at least 2" above the ground and on the diagonal, and that only on the biggest juiciest stems, not the smaller ones.  I do like the sick trick and will try it on my cabbage, etc.

I've now covered my garlic with bird netting and sprinkled some "Acti-sol hen manure" around the bed and around my tulips.  They say that deters rodents like squirrels.  So far so good!

alexis43

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 02:54 »
Just to update, I found a product called Critter Ridder (mix of peppers) spread it around the outside of my plot, and Yippee! no more damage.  Inclined to think it might be something that gets through the wire holes, but not an insect. Maybe mice?

xx
Whos eating my garlic

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 16, 2009, 14:00
by Babstreefern
xx
Something's Eating My Garlic! (Oniony Fly?)

Started by Markjp on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 11:58
by SG6
xx
Eating cloves from diseased garlic plants

Started by JJDigger on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2021, 21:07
by grinling
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 28 queries.