Poorly chicken (silkie) had to be put to sleep - cause?

• 3 Replies

GMM

Hi

Apologies if I ramble on a bit.  I have been on here before where one of our silkies (Goldie) was bullied and was poorly and not eating.  Took her to the vets and she had antibiotics and thankfully recovered - as a result of this we have bought a new hen house with a run for the three silkies and the 2 larger hens are now separated in another run. 

New hen house with run came Wednesday and the three silkies were put in this they all seemed happy - they have had a visit from the fox where they were all sqawking - but this has happened when they were in the other run.  One of the silkies (Juliet) I noticed was looking a bit sorry for herself on Friday.  I went off to work thought nothing of it.  Looked at her Saturday morning - she still looked sorry for herself - my husband then looked at her and we took her to the vets.  The vet said the kindest thing to do was to have her put to sleep - which we did.  She was just over 2 years old.  I noticed a soft egg a couple of weeks back one of the chickens had laid an egg with no shell - it was a bit squddy.  The silkies have not laid eggs for a couple of weeks now.  Goldie was in a separate cage as she was recovering from being bullied and in the last month has laid 2 eggs.  So this soft egg must have been laid by Juliet or the other black silkie.  Juliet was eating quite well so it has happened rather quickly.  We have bought flubenvet 1% just in case it was worms and cannot make head nor tail of instructions.  It has a scoop which holds 6g of wromer.  We have two separate feeders.  One for 2 large chickens (one is a rhode island red) and one for the 2 silkies.  Instructions say to do this over 7 days.  Do I just add one scoop for each feeder every day for 7 days?  Any ideas on cause of illness - how long do silkies live for?  Could it be change of habitat - the visit from the fox?

KarenB

Re: Poorly chicken (silkie) had to be put to sleep - cause?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 14:59 »
Chickens can react very badly to a fox attack even if they were not actually caught.  My sister lost a hen days after a fox attack where other birds were killed.  Symptoms sound similar.  With the bullying problem preceeding the fox attack it could have been a cumulative effect.  A lone survivor of a fox attack in my garden would not go back in the hen house and spent most of her time up a tree and roosting on a tall hedge where the fox got her a few days later.

Hope this helps

KarenB

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 17:38 »
In a tub add 2kg of layers pellets, then add 1 level scoop of flubenvet 1%. You then pour these pellets into their feeders and just feed them on these medicated pellets for the next 7 days. If you run out of pellets then simply mix up some more. After 7 days go chuck any medicated pellets you have away and go back to plain pellets  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

GMM

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 17:47 »
Thank you.  Why cant they put simpler instructions in with the wormer?  Kind regards.

xx
Poorly Silkie.

Started by ShoeGirl on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 06, 2010, 21:22
by ShoeGirl
xx
poorly silkie cockerel-help please

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post June 01, 2007, 17:18
by Fat Hen
xx
What a week..now it's a Silkie with a poorly leg!

Started by Lost in France on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 04, 2008, 16:04
by Lost in France
xx
poorly silkie erratic egg layer

Started by capax on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 10:01
by capax

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 37 queries.