poorly silkie erratic egg layer

• 2 Replies

capax

poorly silkie erratic egg layer
« on: May 21, 2009, 18:04 »
Hi
I'm new to the forum and have recently taken on keeping chickens (since January) and have been learning a lot and very fast. I'm concerned about our silkie hen, we are not sure how old she is and at the best guess she is about 6 - 8 months (the previous owners got her 2nd hand so no real background knowledge available).  They said she had never laid.  This may be as she was too young as she appeared to mature over the months (her comb appeared between her pompom).  She has never appeared totally well, a few days good and a few off colour.  She initially left a dropping with a bit of organge/red in it early on and we took her to the vet who prescribed Panacur (which we since found out is not appropriate for chickens).  She laid her first egg about 3 weeks afterwards.  She has laid erratically since. 
She will go days without laying, appear hunched and quiet, standing on her on, she may lay a soft shelled egg, or one with another membrane attached.  She will then be fine for a few day or a week or more and then it all happens again.  Intermittantly she will lay a perfect egg.  She has access to oyster shell, she is free range, has apple cider vinegar.  She is accompanied by 2 Light Sussex hens who are doing fine. We treated for gapeworm with Flubenvet recently.
Unsure whether this is an internal problem with her or whether it is something else. Would it be ok to do another dose of flubenvet as there is intermittant gaping going on again and have read about it being quiet difficult to combat with one course.
Any advice would be appreciated.

raeburg

Re: poorly silkie erratic egg layer
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 19:00 »
I've got a silkie who is exactly the same in the egg laying.  Oystershell, liquid calcium,grit - she's had them all.  It's a relief at the moment that she's broody!  It takes more effort and is difficult for them to lay a soft shell egg so she may feel out of sorts when she is laying a soft egg.  Mine lives with another silkie who lays beautiful little eggs.  I've come to the conclusion that there is something wrong with her egg production system and she's more of a garden ornament now :)

Sorry I can't be more helpful

capax

Re: poorly silkie erratic egg layer
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 10:01 »
Thank you that does help knowing that.  She laid last night again, one egg inside another membrane with another membrane attached bless her, but she perky again this morning. 

xx
Poorly Silkie.

Started by ShoeGirl on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 06, 2010, 21:22
by ShoeGirl
xx
What a week..now it's a Silkie with a poorly leg!

Started by Lost in France on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 04, 2008, 16:04
by Lost in France
xx
poorly silkie cockerel-help please

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post June 01, 2007, 17:18
by Fat Hen
sad
Poorly chicken (silkie) had to be put to sleep - cause?

Started by GMM on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 17:47
by GMM

Page created in 0.79 seconds with 36 queries.