What a week..now it's a Silkie with a poorly leg!

• 6 Replies

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« on: December 26, 2007, 20:21 »
Oh dear, this is a week with problems...battles between my cockerel and peacock, I've a dove which has hurt its wing so can't fly and now...one of this years black silkie chicks has a problem with her leg! I've had the little dove and the hen together in the sun today recovering in a large dog crate!

The hen is eating and otherwise seems fine, although she is one of the smallest. This morning I noticed she was holding herself wrong and one leg seems redundant. She is using a wing to maintain her balance as she moves around. Her leg is floppy but there is a reflex and it did warm up when she was in the warm I had her seperate today so that she didn't get trampled. I'm wondering whether one of the cockerels might have injured her whilst covering her. The bigger cockerel does not chase but will cover each hen quite frantically first thing when he comes out in the morning.

She's back in the nest box now for the night,  but I'm not sure whether there is anything I should do to make her more comfortable? My feeling is to keep her safely away from the others during the day till she's better and just ensure she's eating and drinking. If the leg is injured, how long is it likely to take to mend and how can I tell if it's dislocated/broken or bruised? She doesn't mind me moving it, rubbing gently and doesn't seem in any pain which seems strange.

Any ideas, advice etc please? Vet not really an option as I'm in France and last time I took a hen to the vet it was clear that they don't really understand "pet" hens here so I have to rely on you experienced folks on the forum!

Judi

Foxy

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 20:38 »
I understand how you feel -never rains but it pours!! I am sure you will have a much clearer idea with your little hen in the morning -if it was just an overly enthusiastic cockerel she should be feeling a lot better tommorrow - I would be a bit concerned with any other symptoms like not eating/drinking other movement probs. Good luck!!

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 10:10 »
My poor little silkie. I'm starting to think Mareks as I've read a lot about  it now. I so hope it's not. She's eating and drinking but her legs are hopeless so all she can do is shuffle. I've still got her inside and giving treats but am worried now that keeping her going is cruel. Any advice...should we dispatch her or try a day or so longer to see if she gets better? As the day goes on she gets a bit more perky but I'm not seeing much overall improvement. She doesn't seem to be in pain but I'd hate to think that she was.

If it is Mareks, what about the others? They all seem fine at the moment  and I'd hate to see them go like this one. Is there anything I can do/get or is it too late as I read that they should be vaccinated as day old chicks which obviously I haven't done? Amongst the others are 5 more of this years chicks. Also an older girl of about 3 years old and 3 partidge cross silkie's also about 3 years old. I suspect that the older ones will not now be vulnerable but what about my "babies"?

It's times like this when I wonder whether it's worth it...they're so lovely but break your heart when they get sick and it doesn't get any easier as the menagerie grows.

Judi

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 11:22 »
Hi Judi, sorry to hear you think your silkie may have Marek's, they are a susceptible breed  :(

Keep her seperate from the other birds.  The good news may be that chickens become more resistant to it as they age, so your older girls may not have become infected.  

Classic paralysis with marek's is one leg back and one forward with the toes curled up :

I hope that picture helps  :)

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
My little silkie
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 16:03 »
Well, thank you Aunt Sally for the photo...looks like this might be the answer. She was very bad again this morning but has perked up again, she seems to get stiffer over night but once she's got moving is alert, eating and drinking. I really thought that this morning we'd have to put her out of her misery but by the time I dressed she seemed so much brighter it didn't feel like the right thing to do.

We have a little dove with an injured wing and it hops round outside all day, then we catch it at night and the two of them were snuggled together this morning! The dove was frightened of her the first few times they were together because she's clumsy, but now it's lovely to see them together. When the little dove goes out for a wander, I put the crate outside and the little hen watches the others from safety, chuntering when I go to check on her. Little dove is gaining strength and flew up to sit on a wire today so hopefully we soon won't have to catch it at bedtime as it will be able to roost at a safe height!

It doesn't get any easier to decide what to do with the hen but I can't help holding out a little longer for her to recover, fingers crossed everyone.

We'll see what tomorrow brings but I'm sure she's not suffering as she's quite perky, feathers and eyes bright and still chatters when she hears the others shouting! She's still enjoying her grapes .

Judi

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 16:09 »
aww i hope she feels better soon x

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 16:04 »
It's great, great news on the silkie possibly with Mareks...she's still not 100% but she can now stand and walk forwards. For a few days she could only shuffle backwards. We nearly did the deadly deed but held off. I still think it is/was Mareks, does anyone know whether it is likely to return if she does make a full recovery? At the moment she's still enjoying the facilities in our house and being really spoilt but I'm sure that, when she's fully better, she'd prefer the company of her pals!

The little dove too is now free, it is able to fly high enough to roost safely and is starting to mix with the flock a little. For a few days, we released it each morning but it just hung around the door, at least now it realises it's not a human!

Not such good news on the cockerel/peacock front as, after a period of truce, war broke out again yesterday so, unfortunately, now Buster the cockerel will remain in his run when I'm not there to supervise!

Judi

xx
Odd behaviour in 4 week old silkie

Started by flocko on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 01, 2007, 08:13
by flocko
xx
sexing 16 week old silkie-sussex cross,,please help

Started by pinkchicken on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 12:38
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Poorly Silkie.

Started by ShoeGirl on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 06, 2010, 21:22
by ShoeGirl
xx
poorly silkie cockerel-help please

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post June 01, 2007, 17:18
by Fat Hen

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 36 queries.