Sorry, question about poo and how much to feed the chickens

• 17 Replies

lucyeff

I never knew that chickens did such huge poos! And so many of them!  :shock:

I'm wondering if we're overfeeding them. They get layers pellets in the morn (Allen and Page, took the others back to the other shop..), corn in an afternoon and we put the grit/oyster shell in with the pellets and corn for them to have a peck at.

They have veggie peelings, not a huge amount, and about half a handful of raisins, plus they have a good peck about in the soil for bugs, etc. Quantity wise, it's just been sort of random, I've tried not to overdo it so there's not too much left over cos of mice/rats.

Maybe this is something I will just have to come to terms with..or could it be the feed/how much I'm giving them? Some of them are very watery (not constantly though) too.  :?

If anyone can suggest whether this is the norm or not, or whether we're feeding them right, I'd really appreciate the advice.  :)

Luce

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 16:08 »
hi lucy, i give mine layers pellets available all the time. a handful of corn each in the afternoon.

i try and give them some type of greens each day.

as for poo, aunt sallys the expert on that subject i think and im sure she will be along to help.

kay

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 16:15 »
Here I am  :D

I only have two chickens as you all know and feed them virtually the same as both of you,  ... and... they... poo... for... Britain...   :lol:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 16:17 »
hello aunty, sorry about that.

just seemed to have stuck in my mind that youve answered lost of queries on various colour poo's in the past.

kay

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 16:21 »
You're quite right Kay.  I'm the poo queen of the forum  :shock:  :lol:

lucyeff

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 17:31 »
Ok, thanks for that folks.

So I guess that chickens poo ISN'T exactly as I'd imagined (and yes, sadly I had tried to imagine it before we got them..) but we'll deal with it.  :roll:

I'm just fretting about an email from someone who keeps chickens who said her 2yr old picked up campylor bactor from them and was quite poorly. I guess if you ingest any type of poo it's bound not to be too healthy.  :shock:  I guess it's hard to get kids to realise it's not play dough, so I'll just have to make sure I keep a close eye on what she's doing with those mucky fingers!

So they don't litter train then?  :lol:  :lol:  :?:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 17:44 »
Campylobacter is spread by poo, not just in chickens but dogs, cats, bunnies etc and people. usually just known as your average tummy bug.

mainly causes loose poo (cant spell the D word) and sometimes vomiting.

simple to prevent - clean hands. i gave all my neices and nephews their own anti bac gel, i got the little ones from tesco's for 49p each. they think its a game to play with the chickens then get their own tub out of their pocket, they dont realise they are washing their hands as no soap, water or towel.

its not something to panic about, most people have had it at some point, without knowing what it is.

we all know its not good to put your fingers in your mouth if they have chicken poo on them, and not to lick the bottoms of any animal  :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 17:46 »
Quote from: "lucyeff"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :roll: NO  :wink:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 18:02 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Quote from: "lucyeff"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :roll: NO  :wink:

I beg to differ  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

jammy

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 18:27 »
Best looking loo brush ever!  :D

lucyeff

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 19:02 »
Quote from: "happyvalley"
Campylobacter is spread by poo, not just in chickens but dogs, cats, bunnies etc and people. usually just known as your average tummy bug.

mainly causes loose poo (cant spell the D word) and sometimes vomiting.

simple to prevent - clean hands. i gave all my neices and nephews their own anti bac gel, i got the little ones from tesco's for 49p each. they think its a game to play with the chickens then get their own tub out of their pocket, they dont realise they are washing their hands as no soap, water or towel.

its not something to panic about, most people have had it at some point, without knowing what it is.

we all know its not good to put your fingers in your mouth if they have chicken poo on them, and not to lick the bottoms of any animal  :wink:

Aha, I never thought about that gel stuff, thanks for that! I had been wondering about antibacterial hand wipes, etc. I'm not obsessive - I think a bit of muck can do wonders for their immune system. But eating poo probably won't (nor would licking the bottoms of animals I guess  :shock:  :lol: not for their popularity at school either  :lol:  :lol: )

We have the chickens constantly begging/looking forlorn outside the patio door in the kitchen since we got them, which inevitably means that bang outside the kitchen door a chickens length away it's Poo City. The baby loves making faces at the chickens through the window where we take off our pooey shoes...and she likes to chew shoes. So I have ordered some garden shoe things like clogs that we can leave outside for the mo til I can think of a way we can stop the chickens from congregating outside the kitchen door without shutting them in the run the whole time (where they look even more forlorn).

We are suffering poo overload here - two kids in nappies and a husband with a high metabolic rate. Sigh. And potty training starts next week (for my eldest daughter. My husband has mostly got the hang of that  :lol:  :lol:  :wink: )

I've heard of chicken VIN da loo, but not chicken ON da loo! What a pic  :lol:

Fat Hen

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 19:28 »
Yeah chickens do the forlorn look very well, mine come running to the patio doors whenever they see someone moving inside.  I reckon they're re-incarnated Labradors, or is the other way round Labradors were chickens in a former life. :lol:  :lol:

Selkie

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 20:49 »
i have the same loo seat!! :D  8)

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 20:55 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
i have the same loo seat!! :D  8)

ah but have you now got two chicken feet super glued to yours :?:  :oops:

not really, popcorn was a proper diva and posed all on her own :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 21:59 »
Look on the bright side, chooks don't poo as much as ducks or geese!!!!

When we had geese, they would be walking up the lawn eting the grass, and pooing as they go, at least our chooks stand still to do it!!!

xx
feed for chickens

Started by fastmonkey85 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 11, 2010, 15:46
by andreadon
xx
what to feed chickens

Started by JMF on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 12:57
by JMF
xx
What do you feed your chickens?

Started by VM on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 10:05
by FCG
xx
can you over feed chickens

Started by madgirlything on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 10:25
by too many girls

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 36 queries.