What do you feed your chickens?

• 7 Replies

VM

« on: June 22, 2008, 20:37 »
Now that I have (nearly) stopped dithering about what chickens to get, I'm wondering what all you experienced chicken keepers feed yours on. Do you need to give them layers pellets or whatever it's called for regular egg production? How much of what they eat is grain bought in and how much is other stuff (and what is it)?

They will have no shortage of green veg to eat as they will be living at the allotment. I remember helping to feed my grandparents' chickens many (really many) years ago and they were eating leftovers from the kitchen. Do people still feed them leftovers - and if so, what kind of things do they like?

We compost most of our kitchen waste, but cooked leftovers currently go into a very unsatisfactory wormery - so was wondering if some of this is the sort of thing that chickens would eat or not (e.g. cooked rice and vegetables, leftover pasta dishes, stale bread etc etc).

I've read (here or somewhere) that it's not a good idea to give them eggshells for their calcium as it may encourage egg-eating.

It's fairly clear to me that we're going to end up with more chickens than we really need for eggs. If they have healthy diet, but not layers pellets, would they just lay slightly fewer eggs, but perhaps go on for more seasons???

... seemingly no end to my ignorance

FCG

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 21:13 »
Feeding the eggshell back is sometimes done, you just have to roast them first in the oven or whack them in the microwave first until nice and crispy and crumble them down. I'm planning to do it for the added calcium.

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 21:48 »
hi i feed mine on layers pellets add poultry grit and corn just before bed and whatever left overs i have. never feed meat!!
good luck enjoy the chooks.

Poolfield2

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 22:59 »
Mine have access to layer pellets and mixed corn all day but they freerange in 2 acres and they don't eat many pellets. They mug me for cooked pasta, grapes and rice even tiny bits of cheese but not too much of any one food seems to be best. I never give mine meat or fish and as I've been told the taste goes into the eggs, nothing strong flavoured.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 23:44 »
My chooks love a bit of meat.  

I give them a little cat food when they are moulting for a protein boost and I give them tuna (in spring water) in the winter when there are not many worms about.

And No.. it doesn't flavour the eggs  :D

FCG

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 23:57 »
Shocking aunt sally!

I'll steal your tip about the tuna in springwater, i was going to give mine cod liver oil to do the same thing.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 00:12 »
Cod liver oil and tinned tuna don't do the same thing at all fcg.

Cod liver oil is good for them for a boost to their vitamin D which can be a bit low in the winter.  Vit D is needed for calcium up take in the gut.

Tinned tuna just gives them protien.

FCG

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 10:05 »
Ok, confused there but not any more.

Aunty, i'm getting catfood freebies sent to me. Worth doing?

xx
can you over feed chickens

Started by madgirlything on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 10:25
by too many girls
xx
feed for chickens

Started by fastmonkey85 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 11, 2010, 15:46
by andreadon
xx
what to feed chickens

Started by JMF on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 12:57
by JMF
xx
How do I feed the chickens their scraps?

Started by Happy-Hound on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 09:09
by joyfull

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 36 queries.