Bald bottom & yellow droppings

• 5 Replies

Fiona55

Bald bottom & yellow droppings
« on: April 17, 2012, 21:02 »
Hi all.  I am new to chicken keeping - had my 4 leghorn hens, & 1 cock for approx 3 weeks.  One hen in particular has a bald bum and I think it is this hen that has been doing yellow runny droppings since I got them - any suggestions please.  I know that the hen is not being attacked or pecked by any of the others.  Is the bald bottom a separate problem to the droppings.  I have read that a bald bottom is something that happens to good layers which all my hens are - 4 hens and I get 3 or 4  eggs a day.  thanks for any help  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Bald bottom & yellow droppings
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 09:45 »
Hi Fiona and welcome to the site.

Have a look at this topic and poo photos, you might find that the poo is a cecal poo and quite normal.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Not heard that about bald bottoms.  I have one the same at the moment and have caught one of the other hens plucking her bum feathers out.  I have tried sprays which have not worked.  Am going to try Vicks vapour rub which has been suggested by Mrs Ball.  If that fails I will put her in my hospital coop for a couple of weeks or until her feathers have a chance to grow back as suggested by Tony H.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Fiona55

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 21:05 »
Thanks for your reply.  I am almost sure that no feather pecking is going on as birds are right outside my window.  I think I shall just keep an eye on them & see how it goes. cheers

Fiona55

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 21:14 »
thanks for the poo link - droppings all come under the normal heading so one less thing to worry about.  I am getting alot of plesaure from the birds, & the eggs are just great.  cheers

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 14:43 »
That is good news. 

My bad bum chook has been like that since her winter moult.  I only caught one of her sisters plucking a feather out the other day so you may not catch them at it.   ::)

Fiona55

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 20:43 »
thanks - I will keep a careful eye on them

xx
Hen with a bald red bottom

Started by susa on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 10, 2012, 19:30
by susa
xx
bottom going bald

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 21:08
by chuckmum
xx
still got a bald bottom.

Started by bexy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 25, 2009, 11:17
by andreadon
xx
bald bottom

Started by corinnestaples on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 18:34
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 29 queries.