bald bottom

• 1 Replies

corinnestaples

bald bottom
« on: May 13, 2011, 14:21 »
hi, my suffolk light (1yr) has a large bald area from her tummy to her vent. its very red and looks sore but does not seem to discomfort her. tiny quills are visable under the skin but not growing back at all. i thought it was part of her moult but its been like that for 4 months now. she is not being pecked as she is very much top of the pile (of 3!) however she is currently broody (but baldness started long before the broodiness) and i am using the broody coop method, so far not worked yet. i cant see any mites/lice on her either. she is not keen on perching and i thought it could be heat related? or an allergy to the bark she was kept on over winter? or is it being burnt by her poo? she does often look mucky and has loose white poo on her bright red bottom. any ideas on what or how to help her would be helpfull. many thanks

bantam novice

Re: bald bottom
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 18:34 »
Hello Connie and welcome to the forum and the wacky world of chicken keeping.  :)

I'm not that experienced with this kind of problem but plenty of people here are and I'm sure they will come in with their advice.

You say that she is now broody.  Broody hens actually do pluck out their feathers so that they warm the eggs more effectively with their skin.

Good luck with her and keep us posted  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
Hen with a bald red bottom

Started by susa on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 10, 2012, 19:30
by susa
xx
still got a bald bottom.

Started by bexy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 25, 2009, 11:17
by andreadon
xx
bottom going bald

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 21:08
by chuckmum
xx
Bald bottom & yellow droppings

Started by Fiona55 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 20:43
by Fiona55

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 28 queries.