confused RE potatoe peelings,

• 19 Replies

jhub

• jane
Re: confused RE potatoe peelings,
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 09:03 »
Hello Joy
I have contacted DEFRA for clarification as there is conflicting advice in their literature regarding this issue. I will let you know as soon as I hear.
Jane

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 09:22 »
Thanks Jane, but until any clarification is given then our position is the same and this topic will be locked if anybody ignores my warnings  :).
Staffies are softer than you think.

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 10:43 »
This is a very interesting topic, I have read the DEFRA information regarding this ( most confusing). Can anyone tell me the DEFRA recommendations for preparing food for chickens at home like making your own mash. 

Why I ask this is the word FOOD, !!! tomatoes, onions, apples etc can be eaten either raw or cooked and would be classed as a food. Potatoes, turnips,swede etc need to be processed (cooked) before it is classed as a food. you are making it edible by processing it.

This is most confusing what they say in their information. the disposal of food has to go to an approved compost facility ? Is my compost bin approved !!!. I am told that I should compost everything , for this it mean that uncooked potato peelings are not classed as food.

So if there is any DEFRA or government recommendations for the preparations for making your own mash for your birds, purpose cooked for use) this could clarify the the issues that have been raised.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

joyfull

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 10:48 »
Mark I think you would need a separate kitchen and buy in feed (or grow) just for your birds, however a birds natural diet is seeds (of most kind) and worms and insects. In the jungle (as they originate from jungle fowl) they wouldn't get cooked foods.
Please can we now wait to see what DEFRA's reply is to jhubs enquiry.
I am now locking this thread and if anybody has any information from DEFRA please contact either myself or one of the other moderators so we can include it  :).

joyfull

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 20:46 »
I have received this message from Tony H who got in touch with Defra earlier:-

I mailed defra on this subject several monthes ago and the reply I got was that all kitchen waste was illegal to feed to any livestock wherever they are kept, and I as I understand it it still remains law
Thanks Tony

So that clarifies the subject - no kitchen waste may be fed to your chickens.

xx
Veg peelings

Started by Flyin Chickens on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 26, 2008, 23:24
by SnooziSuzi
xx
vegetable peelings

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 22:09
by Lindeggs
xx
vegetable peelings!!!

Started by avilla on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 19:40
by ManicMum
xx
Potato Peelings

Started by SnooziSuzi on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 04, 2008, 22:08
by Selkie

Page created in 0.537 seconds with 37 queries.