Liquid seaweed

• 16 Replies

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
Liquid seaweed
« on: April 17, 2012, 00:34 »
Sorry - a numpty question - a friend has just given me a bottle of liquid seaweed extract (I think Vitax is the make) - on the bottle it just says that it's a tonic for plants - does this actually feed the plants (I have several container-grown plants), or will they need an additional feed?

Trillium

Re: Liquid seaweed
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 04:46 »
Seaweed is a feed, but the liquid form is actually a great foliar feed. Mix some up and spray it directly on leaves which can absorb the nutrients.

You would need to feed the soil as well, preferably with rotted manure and/or compost. Seaweed and manure are not complete in themselves, but in combination they will cover a lot of bases.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:20 »
I use and swear by Maxicrop, liquid seaweed. A few years ago I did a comparison with some seedlings, 6 were watered as normal, the other 6 were fed every so often with Maxicrop. The difference in root growth was massive, and since then a lot of other plot holders have switched to feeding their seedlings with it too.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

lochnesslass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 16:01 »
Seaweed is a feed, but the liquid form is actually a great foliar feed. Mix some up and spray it directly on leaves which can absorb the nutrients.

can i just clarify, is the best way to use the liquid seaweed to spray it onto the leaves rather than spraying/pouring in onto the ground at the base of the stems?
just like to know i'm doing the right thing. :D
these 2 take all my time, whatever is left the veggies get, poor hubby is at the end of the queue.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 16:09 »
I use and swear by Maxicrop, liquid seaweed. A few years ago I did a comparison with some seedlings, 6 were watered as normal, the other 6 were fed every so often with Maxicrop. The difference in root growth was massive, and since then a lot of other plot holders have switched to feeding their seedlings with it too.

I too swear by Maxicrop. They do an iron preparation too that my raspberries liked - they had gone a bit yellowy. The brassicas liked it too. Kept them nice and green.
I do use granular growmore or fish, blood and bone too.

emma

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 20:27 »
lochnesslass, you can both spray leaves and the soil with seaweed fertilizer. Both ways work, but if you've got lots of manure on hand, use that for the ground and the seaweed for the leaves. People find it hard to believe that plant leaves will absorb nutrients, but they will. And foliar feed is the fastest way to get nutrients into a plant. Soil application takes a while for it to reach the roots, be absorbed and then act.

lochnesslass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 20:59 »
great thanks, i dont have much seaweed soup so will spray it on for more effective use!

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 22:01 »
lochnesslass, you can both spray leaves and the soil with seaweed fertilizer. Both ways work, but if you've got lots of manure on hand, use that for the ground and the seaweed for the leaves. People find it hard to believe that plant leaves will absorb nutrients, but they will. And foliar feed is the fastest way to get nutrients into a plant. Soil application takes a while for it to reach the roots, be absorbed and then act.

So what about things like pumpkins and courgettes? Would you water it onto the leaves or to the roots? It's just I thought they didn't like their leaves wet.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 02:45 »
You do need to be careful with those softer fuzzy leaves like courgettes and pumpkins, but any of the smoother leaved plants love foliar feeds. Though I have heard of champion growers using foliar on pumpkins, etc. They'd spray in the morning so the leaves have all day to dry off. Noon would be too late as it's the hottest time with most direct sun and could burn spots into the leaves. And do note that it's a spray you're doing, not heavy dripping which isn't so great for the leaves.

The undersides of the leaves need spraying as well as the top. Try to strain out all the extract solids before putting the extract into your sprayer to avoid plugging up the sprayer.

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 08:47 »
Thanks!

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 12:42 »

So what about things like pumpkins and courgettes? Would you water it onto the leaves or to the roots? It's just I thought they didn't like their leaves wet.

I feed curcubit family members on bottles guiness washed down with some water.
I feed it to the roots with an old bottle with one of those spout things on the end.
They seem to like it - when there is snough sun to help - particularly the squashes and pumpkins-all mine died off last year :(

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 14:53 »
Seems like a waste of good guiness  ;) I take it you're not growing the burpless type?  :D

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 18:17 »
Seems like a waste of good guiness  ;) I take it you're not growing the burpless type?  :D

I might give outdoor cucumbers a go this year but I'm not normally very good with them.
As for the guinness - I don't like it anyway! :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 18:29 »
If I feed my lawn Guinness will it come up half cut? 8)
Cheese makes everything better.

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 21:14 »
If I feed my lawn Guinness will it come up half cut? 8)

That did make me laugh. :lol:

Very good.

If you try it and it works, let me know - I loathe cutting the grass :wub:

xx
Liquid seaweed

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2017, 20:25
by JimB
xx
liquid seaweed

Started by sootyfaestoney on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 11, 2012, 09:28
by JayG
xx
Seaweed liquid feed

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 04, 2018, 09:38
by snowdrops
xx
liquid seaweed fertiliser

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 20, 2006, 09:20
by John

Page created in 0.609 seconds with 52 queries.