Dead raspberries?

• 17 Replies

ianl

• Experienced Member
Dead raspberries?
« on: April 16, 2012, 08:34 »
Hi, a couple of months ago I planted my summer raspberry canes. The ground was very cold but as they had turned up in the post I thought it best to plant them. Now they look exactly the same as when I planted them! The autumn raspberries that I planted later have burst in to life. Are these summer ones dead or slow to bud?

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
Re: Dead raspberries?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 08:36 »
I'm having the same experience so would also be interested in replies. :)

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 08:42 »
Scratch the bark with your thumbnail. If you see green underneath they are alive, if you see brown they have had it.

ianl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 12:40 »
Hi, thanks for that advice :) I did that yesterday but couldn't make my mind up whether there was a green at all left.I didn't want to scratch them too much in case the stems got infected. So maybe they are on their last legs! It's a shame as I will have to wait another year for summer fruiting. Oh well  :)  Would they be sprouting by now then?

Willow_Warren

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 13:43 »
I've got a couple that are much the same....

I keep thinking to myself "do I leave them there and give them a bit more of a chance" or do I admit they aren't goint to grow and "dig the up to utilise the space"...

So far they have remained...  At some point I'm going to have to admit they are dead  :blush:

Hannah :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 14:09 »
Only grow autumn raspberries now so I'm racking my poor old brain trying to remember whether summer raspberries start into growth later than autumn varieties (which have to grow new canes and fruit all in one season.)

(That's for new canes growing from the ground - I would have thought there should be signs of your current canes shooting by now, or at least showing healthy buds waiting for "the off.")
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

JohnB47

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 16:39 »
Well, i planted a summer variety, tulameen, in winter 2010/2011 and they,re well under way. Minimal old growth but lots of shoots coming up.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 17:25 »
i had this problem last year, no growth whatsover on 5 of the 6 canes i bought.
now this spring all 6 have started to grow, so if u have the space leave them til next year and see what happens.

kentishgal

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 18:44 »
Same here...I just have sticks. I think 7 deceased raspberry canes from 2 different suppliers is enough effort for this year though! Maybe next year I will be luckier.
(am beginning to wonder why I even bothered protecting them from being used as pee posts by the dog!!LOL ::))

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 19:22 »
I also have Tulameen and they are in good leaf with small flower buds showing... last year's stems of course.

Autumn ones are growing new canes and are about two inches tall (Polka)

If there is no leaves at all yet, it may be that they are dead.

To get fruit this year you will have to plant autumn fruiting varieties I'm afraid
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 19:55 »
Last week we rotovated the whole raspberry patch. I had primarily summer fruiters in there and we didn't see a single leaf. But the canes were all green when scratched. My everbearings were starting to leaf out, while my gold raspberries were almost fully leafed out, so I guess the golds wear tougher panties  :D It's been a bit warmer the last couple of days and I see hints of leaf on the few remaining summer bearing raspbs so I guess the weather is finally to their liking.

ianl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 08:16 »
i had this problem last year, no growth whatsover on 5 of the 6 canes i bought.
now this spring all 6 have started to grow, so if u have the space leave them til next year and see what happens.
Hi, I think I will leave them be and see what happens. I will just place my tomatoes in pots next to them. Thanks to everybody for their advice. :)

Nobbie

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 13:44 »
I'd leave them for at least another month. My established canes have only just come through and I'd expect newly planted ones to take a bit longer

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 13:59 »
I purchased and planted 10 bare rooted canes each of 3 varieties back in the autumn.  Two of the varieties are already in leaf but the other variety is only just this week starting to show signs of budding, so perhaps some varieties are slower than others. 
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 08:29 »
This weekend I noticed that one of my "sticks" had started to grow some leaves!  I don't know if it is a blackberry or raspberry stick though as I had one of each and didn't label.  I should be able to tell from the leaves, will look more closely later...

Hannah :)

xx
Bringing raspberries back from the dead

Started by ghrobbo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2014, 14:19
by Goosegirl
xx
My grapevines look dead. I've just spent £30 on two dead sticks

Started by corynsboy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 19:59
by Jay Dubya
xx
will all be dead?

Started by corco2000 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 12, 2010, 21:37
by sunshineband
xx
Dead Fig?

Started by turnpike on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 11:07
by Apostrophes

Page created in 0.577 seconds with 28 queries.