whats wrong?

• 3 Replies

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
whats wrong?
« on: April 15, 2012, 12:23 »
Had our 6 hens 2 weeks now, and all going well, first egg from one of them 2 days ago.  Something not quite right with one of them today, and dont know if its me just panicking because I'm new to it all.....she's normally the greediest of them all, was fine yesterday, scratting, pecking, and eating etc.....today, just seems really subdued, has eaten bit of layers pellets this morning, didnt want any greens, but had a few mealworms...hasnt been scratting around, just kept herself to herself, occasionally closing her eyes or a few seconds at a time, and fluffing feathers up....just noticed now that she was what looked like yawning, and extending her neck....did it a few times, with a few seconds gap between each one.....is something wrong?

GREEN FINGERED NOT

Re: whats wrong?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 15:05 »
Hi  I am in the same predicament today, mine last time had a blocked crop and it took a trip to the vet to clear it - if you can pick the chicken up and gently tip tap your fingers over her crop area and see if its just solid or emply might help - I am off to see if anyone can come up with anything for my little girl - good luck :(

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 15:12 »
Thanks for that.....after I'd submitted my question, took our 2 dogs for a walk, and returned an hour or so later to find that the girl causing my concern was sat in nest box, and has layed her first egg...could that be what was up....i've only had them 2 weeks and am paranoid that every little thing may be something serious!!!! Anyway, she's had a little bit of mixed corn, and a wander round the garden, but noticed whilst in the garden, her poo a little runny....again, is this normal after first lay...she seems to have come to a bit, but will check her crop as well.....if it feels stuffed, is the advice to give her a drop of neat olive oil...thanks for any help!!!

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 17:38 »
Her crop should feel and probably look full during the day. If you check it when you let them out in the morning it should be empty ie see and feel no 'lump'. Their food sits in their crop and is gradually digested - this is what they need the grit for to help it be ground up - then in the morning it should be empty having been digested overnight. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
whats wrong with my hen?

Started by dhutchie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 18:27
by joyfull
xx
whats wrong with hen

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 23:02
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Whats wrong ???

Started by GaryH on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 30, 2011, 17:55
by Pol
xx
Help, whats wrong?

Started by olly perks on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 20:05
by SarahJC

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 36 queries.