new and nervous

• 19 Replies

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
Re: new and nervous
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 19:33 »
we've had our plot for 3 weeks now and are doing what others have advised, clear a bit and plant it, then move onto the next bit. The only other thing I'd add is to keep the edges of your plot as tidy as you can. Ours had quite a lot of weeds encroaching on our plot neighbours so I made that a priority.
this is our new plot

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 19:41 by yorkiegal »

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 02:44 »
If you can get something to smother it with then strim it all down, rake up a bi pike to start the compost heap going, smother as much as you can (plastic, carbaord etc) and dig a bit and get soemthing in it... start some broad-beans off in pots at home then when you've got a bit dug they can go straight in.... it's always good to see somethgin growing... this year will be tough with the digging, no way round it, but hang in there... next year it'll be way easier, it took me weks to dig over the allotment the first time, it took me dasy the spring .... worked soil just falls off weed roots, plus things like couch roots pull out in large sections cos the soil is friable rather than compact..... try to get a bunch of compost or manure in.... if your council recycling sells their compost it'll be cheap.... if we load it ourselves then our local stuff is 30 quid a ton... I have a big van and an 8x4 trailer adn I've still yet to manage to fit a whole ton in... it takes up a lot of space.....

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 09:39 »
Hi there and a belated welcome to the forum  :D

Looks like you have made good headway already, so that's great.

Just to add to the advice already offered ---- if you have some ground you have not cleared properly, planting potatoes rather than leaving it empty is helpful.

Just dig a hole around ten inches deep and pop one in. As you earth up over the new growth to make those nice long hills you see on plots, you can take more weeds out, and as you dig the potatoes up later in the year, you can give it a thorough going over then.

This is what we did with a third of our new plot in the first year. We planted maincrops that had massive foliage, which also smothered much of the annual weed growth
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Classybird

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 11:25 »
Thank you to the last post re the potatoes - this has made me feel a lot better about my plot, which I have often felt overwhelmed with recently. My potatoes are here ready to go in and I was thinking whether to put them in one of the beds that I've sorted out, or to put them in one of the grassy areas that is currently covered in cardboard. After reading your post I think I will do the latter. I do struggle sometimes thinking should I do it this way or this way, and never no what to do for the best. So thank you!

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 20:47 »
Things to do with sheets of corrugated iron (wriggly tin ::))

1 compost bin
2 wind break
3 catch rain and direct towards plants/ water but
4 cover weeds to kill them
5 cover newly dug soil when walking on it
6 provide shade for seedlings
7 make a box to store bits and bobs if you don't want a shed
8 paint and decorate to make a landscaping feature (if you must)
9 bury in ground to contain mint
10 &....?

I'd love 3 sheets of wriggly tin. All the previous owner left me was was a string line and a bent spade (and a million tufts of couch grass :tongue2:)
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

xx
Slightly nervous now

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post December 23, 2013, 16:11
by sunshineband
xx
Is it normal to be nervous?!! LOL

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 22:07
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 28 queries.