Is it normal to be nervous?!! LOL

• 8 Replies

courgette

« on: April 08, 2008, 11:17 »
this weekend was the weekend I was 'going' to start putting everything into the ground that had started off in the greenhouse....i thought i'd be really looking forward to it but i'm more nervous/anxious if anything!!  :oops: I dont feel ready let alone whether my seedings are ready!! did/does ne1 else feel like this?!!

oh & with "hardening off", does leaving the mini-green house door tied open during the day count? or do they need to be right outside with a little breeze so the roots develop futher?

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 11:37 »
where are you and what are you planning on planting out? i personally think it's a little early and still too cold, i could be wrong as you could be in spain

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 11:41 »
Leaving the door open during the day is a good prelude to leaving it open all the time, then putting outside totally prior to planting - dependent, as Llucywill says, on what the plants are - quite an important detail!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

courgette

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 11:42 »
east anglia, was gonna fleece the whole bed if risk of frost.. i dont think i will be doing it this weekend, but even if i wait a few weeks i still think i'll feel the same!!  :lol:
spose its coz i've grown something from seed for 1st time & at the moment they're nice & cosy & protected....just thought of my 'little ones' being out in the open!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

oh....sugar snap peas & broadbeans really that i was thinking of putting out soon....they're growing like crazy in the greenhouse & think they're gonna be hitting the shelf above soon....havent got the room to remove a shelf to make extra height!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 11:43 »
The 'little ones' being......................?

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 11:49 »
we too are in east anglia, i planted my broad beans direct and most are hardy do they should be ok, i think peas will be fine too

courgette

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 11:52 »
fab!...think most of the thinks I planned to plant out soon were ones that i could have sown straight in last month, but as my bed wasnt ready I had to start everything off in containers....planning on what to put where is gonna give me a head ache i think!!

beki

• Experienced Member
    • http://wholesomeliving.smfforfree4.com/index.php
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 12:32 »
my broad beans went in a while ago and i just fleeced them during the snow and frosty periods... they seem to be thriving  :D

god luck - we have to let them grow up at some stage i'm afraid, scary as it may be!  :lol:   :wink:
Trying to live the good life.. getting there slooooowly...

Stripey_cat

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 22:07 »
If you're worried, try a windbreak - in my experience (mostly Cornwall, so possibly not typical) wind does more damage and dries out more transplants that the odd spring frost.  A couple of posts and either proper windbreak netting (ugly as all hell, but easy to pack up and effective), or "pruning hurdles" - basically, any old bit of twig or pruning woven into an approximate screen.  Proper hurdles are much prettier, if you have hazel or willow, but rose-prunings and last summer's honeysuckle work just as well.

Keep everything well watered too, in this weather - the wind is vicious and will turn your new tilth to dust given half a chance.

xx
new and nervous

Started by greenish fingers on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 20:47
by gremlin
xx
Slightly nervous now

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post December 23, 2013, 16:11
by sunshineband
xx
Onions - is this normal?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 12:08
by JohnB47
xx
Is this normal? tomatoes

Started by knittywittywoo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 20:06
by knittywittywoo

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 36 queries.