brassica rootfly collars?

• 6 Replies

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
brassica rootfly collars?
« on: April 07, 2012, 06:48 »
hi all ,had a tough time last season with the root fly.i didnt take precautions,but lesson learned.just wondered what you use for collars.i dont really want to spend any money if i can get an affective deterrant for free!  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: brassica rootfly collars?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 06:58 »
Never had to do it myself, but I know in the past others on here have made them from roofing felt, cardboard, carpet underlay, hanging basket liners............ get the pattern?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 07:08 »
Never had to do it myself, but I know in the past others on here have made them from roofing felt, cardboard, carpet underlay, hanging basket liners............ get the pattern?
got a free source of thick cardboard, i might go with that option. :)

Carrot Man

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 07:18 »
I was given a great tip by Clive Bevan the Giant Veg Expert, and touch wood, I have never had a problem

He advised me that a short stick of Rhubarb planted in the whole before the Brassica, was a good cure for root fly and anything else which attacked the plant from beneath

Just make the whole, drop in the rhubarb and plant on top

It is something in the Rhubarb which all species hate. Apparently, humans are the only living creature who like rhubarb

He also advised to cook it up and drain the fluid. Let it cool down and then use it as a spray against white and black fly. I have to say, it does work and it's organic

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 07:22 »
I have to say that as far a the club root thing is concerned, from personal experience it's pants.

If you lime your soil to increase the alkalinity of it to inhibit club root, why would you drop something acidic in the hole and expect it do the same?

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 07:29 »
I had a bad attack of root fly last year, although I used felt collars. They did not make any difference. It's easy to tell which plants are affected as they are smaller than the others. I pulled them up, searched for and destroyed the culprits, including the pupae, and put in new plants.
This year I intend to use old pairs of tights over the plants, down to the soil, in the hopes that it will keep them off and stretch with the plants. Haven't tried it before so I don't know if it will work or not.

Carrot Man

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 08:54 »
As DD has said, this is very true but if you already have the issue, it is hard to prevent

'Perkla' is a great product which advertise to get rid of club root
If you google it, you will find it. I get mine from Medwyn's of Anglesea
It is a lime based product with slow releasing, high nitrogen, so excellent for all brassica's, as it feeds it throughout the life of the plant

xx
Brassica collars

Started by The Hungry Slug on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 09:34
by gobs
xx
Brassica collars?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 20:44
by WG.
xx
Brassica collars

Started by allstars_princess on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 00:01
by Salmo
xx
Newspaper Brassica Collars?

Started by Gandan57 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 27, 2011, 11:17
by plopleuk

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 36 queries.