germinating parsley and basil

• 54 Replies

Grubbypaws

Re: germinating parsley and basil
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 09:30 »
The only thing I don't like about keeping basil on a windowsill indoors is that it's very prone to drawing those little flies and they drive me insane. If I put it outside there's never a problem.

Try growing them next to a hungry sarracenia

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2012, 09:44 »
me too ! both pars and baz were on window sill parsley was up couple of days after basil and peppers thanks to mattwrag for teaching me patience  :D they are now up as well,just moved them yesterday into my mini greenhouse to join dill and chives which seem to be also coming on strong,they have been out for a couple of weeks now,so hope pars and baz do the same,peps still on warm window sill though cheers jay  8)
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

Mrs Bee

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2012, 11:34 »
My parsley at the lotty is just starting to grow away again now, looking very green and healthy all through the winter.

With Rosemary it is better to just stick cuttings in a pot and they root much easier than seeds.

ooh damm !! new i was missing a herb for my playtime in kitchen ---- and yes you guessed it --rosmary  :D

I don't have any luck with seeds or cuttings. Luckily the local garden centre sells small plants for a couple of quid and they grow fast. Have 6 in the garden and have to give them a good haircut regularly to stop them taking over.

I use the cuttings to put on the BBQ and finely chop the leaves in a coffee grinder and freeze.
I use rosemary far more than wny other herb :)

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2012, 12:19 »

I use the cuttings to put on the BBQ and finely chop the leaves in a coffee grinder and freeze.

i use rosmary on a barbi as well-- never heard of anyone freezing parsley though  :wacko: :D but hey mrs b what a great tip about using a coffee grinder for fine chopping-- why didn,t i think of that as i struggle with a knife nowadays oop,s just thought i,ve got to buy one first  :D

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 12:56 by mumofstig »

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 13:02 »
i just sow parsley and basil in the greenhouse in mid-march each year in half-sized loo rolls filled with compost. I leave them until they have germinated - and they do, with time and patience  - and plant out the parsley when the leaves are big enough (ie: look like parsley).

I plant out some of the basil - covered when risk of frost - and the rest I pot on to put some on the kitchen window sill and some back in the greenhouse. Still using a basil plant from last summer.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2012, 19:10 »

i use rosmary on a barbi as well-- never heard of anyone freezing parsley though  :wacko: :D but hey mrs b what a great tip about using a coffee grinder for fine chopping-- why didn,t i think of that as i struggle with a knife nowadays oop,s just thought i,ve got to buy one first  :D

edit to clarify quote

I got a krups one on Amazon. Really good for fine chopping rosemary which is a right beggar to chop with a knife or with scissors!  If I have a glut of parsley I freeze it. In fact I freeze a lot of herbs to see me through the winter months as they taste better than dried.  

I use the Magimix to chop leafy herbs but it can't cope with the rosemary. :)

Edited to clarify quote
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 19:16 by DD. »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 19:18 »
never heard of anyone freezing parsley though  :wacko:

I freeze parsley, you can whack it whilst still frozen & hey presto! - chopped parsley.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2012, 19:50 »
I use one of those wonderful hachoir choppers. They're perfect for chopping herbs and chillis.

Trillium

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2012, 20:44 »
Basil and parsley can be chopped up fresh and with a bit of water added, frozen in single cube ice trays. When frozen, pop the herb cubes into freezer bags and bag into the freezer. I'd bag them separately and label them in case you don't want basil in something.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2012, 11:09 »
Basil and parsley can be chopped up fresh and with a bit of water added, frozen in single cube ice trays. When frozen, pop the herb cubes into freezer bags and bag into the freezer. I'd bag them separately and label them in case you don't want basil in something.

I always mean to; sometimes do and often don't so sometimes it is a bit of a surprise when I find these little pots in the freezers unlabelled :unsure:
Do get some interesting supper results from the unlablled ones :D Slinging in a seeing what happens.   :wub:

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2012, 14:23 »
I always mean to; sometimes do and often don't so sometimes it is a bit of a surprise when I find these little pots in the freezers unlabelled :unsure:
Do get some interesting supper results from the unlablled ones :D Slinging in a seeing what happens.   :wub:

ooh mrs b you do disapoint me :D :D :D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 14:40 by DD. »

LilacSandy

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2012, 14:41 »

[/quote]

That's how great new reciepies are made.  :lol:

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2012, 14:58 »

[/quote]

That's how great new reciepies are made.  :lol:
[/quote]

sorry have to dissagree with you there lilac you need the base first before you can make it new and claim it for yourself ---- and it also helps if you know what you have literally just chucked into it hee hee ---- those in glass houses should.nt throw stones and all that ,--i have no idea about what half my veg and flower seedlings are cos forgot to label them  :D :D :D :blush:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2012, 15:08 »
Indeed Jay, I am a great disappointment :(

I start off with good intentions to label everything and keep the freezer book up dated, but life overtakes me and it slips! :wub: Especially when I have a large cake order to fulfill and am doing many, many cooking things at once.

Start the day with boundless energy  :D which fades mid-afternoon :(

In my defence I do have 3 x 13 cubic foot freezers and I do sometimes have to do some shuffling with the contents so loose the plot about what I have in them :unsure:

And yes lilac, great new recipes are made that way and are often impossible to recreate as I have found out to my  irritation. Keep a cooking diary now tho', so it happens less.
Better stop wittering on or will be told off for going off topic :wub:

Now when it comes to labelling seeds Jay, I am usually spot on :)

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2012, 15:56 »
ok mrs b you win  :D like the way dd uses his parsley frozen and then wack for instant chopped parsley,now i know people freeze both pars and baz i will sow again today when i make some more paper plant pots and i will try remember to label :D :D

xx
parsley

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 27, 2021, 16:54
by jaydig
xx
Parsley

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2017, 16:59
by JayG
xx
Parsley Help

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 27, 2020, 18:40
by Vagabond
xx
Parsley

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 23:00
by Eblana

Page created in 0.903 seconds with 29 queries.