germinating parsley and basil

• 54 Replies

Grubbypaws

germinating parsley and basil
« on: April 06, 2012, 16:50 »
Some more first for this year  :)

I read that parsley is slow to germinate. I have a little room left in my heated propagator; would germination be helped by a little bottom heat or would this be too much?

Same with basil seeds; to put in propagator or not?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: germinating parsley and basil
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 16:54 »
I only ever start herbs that I grow annually straight outdoors where they're going to be, usually in April up here. :) I find Parsley no problem, Basil can be more challenging, up here, due to the lower temperatures.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 17:05 »
You might find THIS chart interesting.

Parsnip and parsley are closely related, both slow off the mark, and both need some warmth to germinate (if you want to harvest them the same year!  ::))

Parsley seed is also short-lived - I find it easier to unashamedly cheat and pot-on supermarket growpots for planting outside.  :)

Basil is usually pretty reliable - normal kitchen windowsill warmth seems to work OK, but I'm sure a heated prop would be OK too.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 17:12 »
I have just measured the temperature on my windowsill and decided everything needs to go in the propagator!!!!

mattwragg94

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 18:02 »
i sowed all three in the unheated GH a couple of weeks ago (it was warmer than now tho) and they where all up within a week.

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 18:08 »
I have just measured the temperature on my windowsill and decided everything needs to go in the propagator!!!!

hi grubs  :D i have both  parsley(curly type )and basil (sweet genovese ) growing in home made paper plant pot,s and yeeah you guessed it you tube again  :D amazon wanted £10.00 for a kit i make mine using a sweetcorn tin for baby seedlings and pot on using baked bean tin !! helps with my hands sat on the couch whilst listening to all the c##p that is happening in the world on the news i did notice my parsley was a few days behind my basil but both up and coming on fast--- wish the same could be said for me  :D -- and no propergator or plastic bag method was ever used ------ must say though since the stroke i really feel the cold so guess my flat is a wee bit warmer than -- your average cats  :D
cheers jay  8)
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 18:14 »
I did my parsley seed in the polytunnel this year, it's not one of the fastest germinators but even with the very cold overnight temps we've had it's all come up ok. Basil I always start indoors, in a pot next to the boiler with a poly bag on top. That comes up pretty fast but seems to do well on a windowsill once up. The only thing I don't like about keeping basil on a windowsill indoors is that it's very prone to drawing those little flies and they drive me insane. If I put it outside there's never a problem.

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 18:17 »
mmmm I wonder how we ever managed before electric heated propagators...................................

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 18:19 »
mmmm I wonder how we ever managed before electric heated propagators...................................

:lol:

Don't possess one here! :D

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 18:20 »

:lol:

Don't possess one here! :D

Nope me neither :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 18:24 »
Nor me - plastic bags only!

With respect to JayG, if we took notice of that germination guide no one would be able to move around the house for propagators.

My parsley gets sown in an unheated greenhouse with the added essential ingredient - patience.

I have a square metre patch of the stuff a the back of the greenhouse where last year's self seeded and did very nicely on its own, thank you very much!

Parsnips - they don't even get the benefit of a plastic bag or toilet roll - straight in - don't be wimps - get on and grow!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 18:39 »
who needs a heated propegater? just have a stroke and turn the heating up ---- and worry about the cost when the bill arrives :tongue2:

Headgardener22

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 18:43 »
I always soak my parsley before sowing, I've found that it increases the reliability of germination.

I sow parsley in plugs which I put up on top of the cupboards in the kitchen so they get warmer. Once they've germinated (can be a week or so) then I put the plugs out into the greenhouse for them to grow on.

Parsnips are slow to germinate and unreliable. The rules I follow are to put a clump of at least 4 seeds at each station where you want them to grow and then to put a few radishes between the stations to mark the row. Don't use old parsnip seed (or if you do put 8/12 seeds at a station).

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 18:46 »
No propagators here, heated or otherwise!

The very thought of sowing parsnips in pots and all the rest of the faff makes me want to lie down for a rest - they always germinate OK outside if fresh seed is not sown too early (next week or so, assuming that winter doesn't re-appear!)

I posted the link to make a change from the one mentioned in "Growing FAQ's > very useful internet links", although I think the latter is more informative once you get the hang of it.  :)

AnneB

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 18:47 »
I have sown more flat leaf parsley this year and it is in modules by the window in a cool spare bedroom.  It germinated quite well there last year.  

I have been picking last year's sowing all through the winter where it has been under a cold frame and there is still some left.   It is quite a hardy thing.  I am not sure how long it will last as this was the first attempt last year.  

My parsnips are in the window in the dining room - warmer than the spare bedroom, but no propagator.  They seem to germinate well there, but take their time.  I sow them in loo rolls and then move them wholesale into final positions.  Our plot is so weedy, it is hard to tell seedlings apart if sown direct, and this seems to work for me.

xx
Parsley

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2017, 16:59
by JayG
xx
Parsley Help

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 27, 2020, 18:40
by Vagabond
xx
Parsley

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 23:00
by Eblana
xx
parsley

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 27, 2021, 16:54
by jaydig

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 38 queries.