germinating parsley and basil

• 54 Replies

Mrs Bee

Re: germinating parsley and basil
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 19:19 »
who needs a heated propegater? just have a stroke and turn the heating up ---- and worry about the cost when the bill arrives :tongue2:

That is really rotten for you. Hope you are on the mend.

I have soaked some of the parsley seeds and some I just planted and they both came up fine in a heated windowsill propagator. I believe that flat leaf parsley is easier to germinate than the curly stuff.

My basil seeds are up and they were on the kitchen windowsill in a plastic bag along with the dill. The dill has now been planted in the boxes outside the backdoor and seem to be doing OK despite the frost this morning.

My parsnips are in loo rolls and planted out, and I have direct sown some seeds to see which method works best.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 20:50 »
Hey folks the propagator was a present from OH so it has got to look used  ::)

JayG my Parsnips are outside in the cold where they should be and have germinated well. I followed the advice of someone from last year; since the seeds dont keep just put the whole packet in and thin later. It has worked a treat.

We live in an old house that is hard to heat so we are more likely to put jumpers on than the central heating. We have a real fire and once we have that roaring and the door shut it get sooo cosy but the window sills in the rest of the house are colder than most of your greenhouses. Seriously at 2pm today I measured the temp at 12C so maybe my present was not so foolish  :unsure:

Jay, I have done the deed and pricked out my peppers and yes I was brave and buried them.

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 21:12 »
good -- see i wasn,t on my own,other people said the same thing !! and dont forget ray is a god via you tube and what he say,s work,s -- well does for me anyway  :D
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 14:01 »
growing rosemary and Basil. last year i didn't pay much attention to Basil and rosemary rosemary didn't grow too well but i hear its a hardy plant able to last 3 year worth of growing and Basil got eaten by slugs  :ohmy:. this year both are taking a while to grow in my small green house due to outside temp. some of the basil are popping through but rosemary is taking time. might bring both in house.

Edited to correct spelling of "rosemary" for search purposes
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 14:05 by DD. »

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 15:01 »
growing rosemary and Basil. last year i didn't pay much attention to Basil and rosemary rosemary didn't grow too well but i hear its a hardy plant able to last 3 year worth of growing and Basil got eaten by slugs  :ohmy:. this year both are taking a while to grow in my small green house due to outside temp. some of the basil are popping through but rosemary is taking time. might bring both in house.

Edited to correct spelling of "rosemary" for search purposes

talking about growing herbs --did you not spell time wrong ?  :D

Edited to tidy up quote
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 15:04 by DD. »

Trillium

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 15:14 »
For those doing parsley for the first time, be aware that they detest having their roots disturbed, so where they're planted is where they stay. Don't try to prick them out and into larger pots. Just start them in a suitable container, then carefully transfer that container's contents into a planting hole when ready.

Basil aren't so fussy about transplanting but as they're a Mediteranean  crop, they do need warmth all the time. Even a hint of frost and they're down.

Headgardener22

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 15:17 »
I used to sow parsnips in loo rolls, but I found that the parsnip got to the bottom of the roll and then stopped so I got broad stumpy parsnips. Having spent a few years improving the soil, I now find that direct sowing fives a better crop.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 17:10 »
For those doing parsley for the first time, be aware that they detest having their roots disturbed, so where they're planted is where they stay. Don't try to prick them out and into larger pots. Just start them in a suitable container, then carefully transfer that container's contents into a planting hole when ready.

Basil aren't so fussy about transplanting but as they're a Mediteranean  crop, they do need warmth all the time. Even a hint of frost and they're down.

OOps I had better go and tell my parsley plants that  Trill, as they don't seem to know.

I always sow parsley in a margarine tub, in the propagator and then transplant into little paperpots. Have never had probs with them. I do grow the flatleaf parsley tho' and I believe that is a little easier than the curly stuff.

OH and my Ma get cross with me 'cos I seem to break all the rules and it grows. :wub:
OH says the plants are too scared of me not to grow :D :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 17:13 »
Ah.

I grow my parsley in a seed tray and just break clumps off and stick in the ground. I'm not particularly careful!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Mrs Bee

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 17:19 »
Ah.

I grow my parsley in a seed tray and just break clumps off and stick in the ground. I'm not particularly careful!

I am quite careful with seedlings; have small delicate fingers. Only delicate part about me tho' :nowink:

I have got my parsley seedlings outside the back door and have stuck a few in the salad trough. Seem OK despite the blasted frosts recently.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 19:40 »
Ah.

Me too. I've always scattered a few in a pot, pricked them out into modules or pots then planted out when big enough, and they always do well, both flat leaf and curly.

LilacSandy

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 20:04 »
My parsley at the lotty is just starting to grow away again now, looking very green and healthy all through the winter.

With Rosemary it is better to just stick cuttings in a pot and they root much easier than seeds.

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 20:46 »
My parsley at the lotty is just starting to grow away again now, looking very green and healthy all through the winter.

With Rosemary it is better to just stick cuttings in a pot and they root much easier than seeds.

ooh damm !! new i was missing a herb for my playtime in kitchen ---- and yes you guessed it --rosmary  :D

LilacSandy

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2012, 08:31 »
I did my parsley seed in the polytunnel this year, it's not one of the fastest germinators but even with the very cold overnight temps we've had it's all come up ok. Basil I always start indoors, in a pot next to the boiler with a poly bag on top. That comes up pretty fast but seems to do well on a windowsill once up. The only thing I don't like about keeping basil on a windowsill indoors is that it's very prone to drawing those little flies and they drive me insane. If I put it outside there's never a problem.

I did not realise that it was the Basil that draws the little flies, you learn something every day :D

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2012, 09:15 »
My basil was sowed on Tuesday in an unheated window sill propagator, just look at them this morning and they are just starting to push the soil up so 5 daysish to germinate not too bad :) No sign of the min, parsley, coriander and chilli planted in the same propagator though.

xx
Parsley

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2017, 16:59
by JayG
xx
Parsley Help

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 27, 2020, 18:40
by Vagabond
xx
Parsley

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 23:00
by Eblana
xx
parsley

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 27, 2021, 16:54
by jaydig

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 38 queries.