What makes a good dust bath?

• 17 Replies

tortzblue

• Darcey Bussell
What makes a good dust bath?
« on: April 05, 2012, 15:17 »
Hi again. What do you fill your dust bath with? I've heard good and bad about sharp sand. Is it ok? or should it be regular dry earth or any other ideas please?
My girls have a small movable run on grass so would not make their own dust bath. So I need to provide something in a cat litter tray perhaps but what should I fill it with?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 16:15 by tortzblue »

Dopey113

Re: What makes a good dust bath?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 15:44 »
If they have any outside ground to use, they will make there own dust bath, if they have a very large aria to run about in, they will make a few of them themselves
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Mrs.Apron

• Wearing my apron with pride! :)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 19:19 »
I heard that silver sand (play sand), mixed with dry garden earth and some diatom mixed in makes a good dust bath.
No sense in being pessimistic It wouldn’t work anyway.

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 16:05 »
Go to garden centre. Buy the most expensive plants. Put them anywhere, in any soil or situation. Allow chooks to see them. They will show you that the best dust bath is exactly where you put in your plants.

rocker

• Rastus. Bearded, boot leg, Bantam
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 11:28 »
My Bantams have cleared all the weeds from what was the growing area. they now, dig a  hole next to the fence which is in the shade, they dust themselves in their own pit, quite entertaining
Regards
rocker

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 12:35 »
I was reading somewhere that old bonfire ash made a good dust bath 
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

jhub

• jane
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 13:48 »
My hens always site their dust baths by the run borders- right up against the wire, the current ones are about a foot deep, talk about an invite for Mr. fox!

tortzblue

• Darcey Bussell
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 09:58 »
Thanks for ideas - I guess it's a case of seeing what works best. Think I'll pass on the expensive plants one tho!

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 16:57 »
Mine like to make theirs in molehills. Mr mole doesn't like that so makes another hill a bit away. The chickens turn it into another bath, the moles moves a few more feet, so follow the chooks...

...needless to say it was like the Somme after one season.

In all seriousness though, mine tend to favour making their own on the south side of some sort of structure that gives shelter from the north and warms them from the sun to the south - these include against a gate, against an old oak (this is their favourite as the ground is always dry underneath), under hedges, against tall solid fences. The only times they have veered from this need to make one against a south-facing structure is the mole hill massacre, but then come on, how could they resist, it was half dug for them anyway.

Still makes me laugh, seeing from a distance a chicken's head pop up out of the ground only to find her body entirely submerged in excavated mole hole :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 23:28 »
One of my chicken chums at the allotment bought the yellow sand that you normally get for budgie cages and the girls pecked at it like it was grit?!? ???

We've read that silver sand is the best but surely not industrial grade silver sand that you get from the big DIY stores??

I have a chinchilla and the dust he bathes in is very very very fine. Might this be any good?

Emma

tortzblue

• Darcey Bussell
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 12:26 »
Mmmm not sure. I think I read somewhere it mustn't be too fine cos it can irritate their lungs? Oh I dunno! :unsure: But thanks again everyone for your thoughts.

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 17:15 »
Sorry I don't have Chickens yet, but I used to have Chinchillas and they used a dust bath.
There is a special sand you can buy at the pet shop, it was not expensive and if you put it in a big container then it lasted for ages(otherwise it got spread around the room!)
I hope this helps.

farmerGiles

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 19:49 »
My hens bathe in a small patch of covered soil (photo).

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 19:57 »
I use chinchilla sand for my dwarf hamsters and always have and its never causes them harm and their lungs must be tiny obviously chooks may be different but surely it should be fine as its non toxic etc. I could be totally wrong but just a thought  :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 20:54 »
At least chinchilla dust is soft - it's not particularly dusty. Might be right though.

I read that you have to be careful with some sands though because if they peck at it (like grit) it can cause irritation of the stomach lining.

Emma

xx
Dust bath

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 09:57
by kitkat
xx
dust bath

Started by Walfre on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 02, 2012, 12:14
by JaK
xx
Dust Bath

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2009, 20:56
by HENrietta
xx
dust bath

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post November 10, 2007, 22:24
by Selkie

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 37 queries.