Dust bath

• 10 Replies

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
Dust bath
« on: October 17, 2009, 11:46 »
My girls are free ranging but when the bad weather starts won't be able to use the garden for dustbaths.  As part of the coop is covered I would like to put a dustbath container under it for them.  Can anyone advise a suitable container and does it have to be soil in it, or could I use seed compost or sand perhaps.  Have a couple of rubber dustbin lids wonder if they would be big enough slightly sunk in the soil.  Any ideas gratefully received.  thanks alison

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
Re: Dust bath
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 11:51 »
Personally I would advise that the dust bath be raised above the ground, otherwise the hens will just scratch the surrounding dirt into it :(

I use a kiddy paddling pool with logroll round the edge and put playsand or chinchilla dust into it :)

I use chinchilla sand for my quails dustbath too and have a sieve from Wilkinsons to keep it fresh  ???

Your hens will love it :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 11:59 »
Hi Chookiechuck, thanks for advise never heard of chinchilla dust, but can get playsand at B&Q I know.  Will have a look around for paddling pool.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 12:55 »
I scrounged an old tyre from a customer of mine who races cars.  Its got a wider inside diameter than a normal car tyre.  We've filled it with kiln dried sand.  Doesn't need any 'construction' or fixing, and it's really sturdy so they can't tip it up.  It's not been in very long, and they haven't used it for dust baths yet, but do like scratching round and sending the sand flying! :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 13:38 »
did see on here that somebody used an old dog bed (the plastic type) which could accomodate several hens together  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 13:43 »
did see on here that somebody used an old dog bed (the plastic type) which could accomodate several hens together  :D

That might have been me?  I did start off with the old dog bed, but the edge was so chewed, I was worried it might be sharp, and it was very narrow, not good for perching.  So switched to the tyre - it's much better.  Now a wagon tyre would be good.........don't you have lorries?

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 14:04 »
lots of lorries and some old spare tyres (from enormous down to land rover size which are far more manageable - grew potatoes in some this year) but you live a long way from me otherwise you could have some old ones  :D

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 15:02 »
I tried a cat litter tray (cleaned of course) but it didn't work, cardboard box didn't last long either, blimey it will be a jacuzi next lol :lol:

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 15:05 »
well if anybody in Lincolnshire area wants old lorry tyres to use just get in touch - free  :D

francais

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 09:51 »
On a smaller scale - would an old babies bath work?  You can get these from boot sales for about £1 / £1.50  (I brought one not long ago for washing our jack russel in)
Toni

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 09:57 »
I'm sure a babies bath will be fine as long as its heavy and not too high, i had to put steps for my 'thick' chicken ::)
    Car tyres were great for my banties, lorry tryes would be even better :)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

xx
dust bath

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post November 10, 2007, 22:24
by Selkie
xx
Dust Bath

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2009, 20:56
by HENrietta
xx
Dust bath

Started by victoria_plum on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 15:34
by Fisherman
xx
Dust bath

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 19:02
by bexy

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 37 queries.