tomato leaf wilting - see pic.

• 19 Replies

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: tomato leaf wilting - see pic.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 22:31 »
Snip it off or leave it on it makes no difference as it is not diseased. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 09:41 »
I usually always water underneath and give the surface a little spray with watergun.  With the hot weather I thought maybe the leaves need a bit of hydration, but seriously - it was literally a mist, not a drench. I have 7 others in same place where I did the same and they are not affected.  When they start to flower, do you then give the leaves a bit of a spray?

One more thing too on tomatoes, at this stage, are they still okay not being fed.  As started Feb, I thought the compost gets exhausted and loses its nutrients.  But I understand you dont feed until they fruit.  Just wondered .....

prakash_mib

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 09:49 »
I usually always water underneath and give the surface a little spray with watergun.  With the hot weather I thought maybe the leaves need a bit of hydration, but seriously - it was literally a mist, not a drench. I have 7 others in same place where I did the same and they are not affected.  When they start to flower, do you then give the leaves a bit of a spray?

One more thing too on tomatoes, at this stage, are they still okay not being fed.  As started Feb, I thought the compost gets exhausted and loses its nutrients.  But I understand you dont feed until they fruit.  Just wondered .....

depends on sun's angle and the position where it takes. and all the plants are different (as we are) you dont need to feed it untill the first flowe is set. feeding now means you are encouraging the green growth. what they actually need is potting on and on and on... untill they go on to their final position.  :)

I dont normally mist it during flower and it does belongs to solanacaea (spelling) family which means it might get Big B so keeping leaf dry is very important.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 09:50 »
There is no advantage that I'm aware of to be had by misting tomato plant leaves, in fact you should keep them as dry as possible to avoid providing the perfect conditions for blight spore germination as well as the risk of leaf scorch!

6 weeks is the usual rule of thumb for the nutrients in compost to last, but that will vary depending on the vigour of what's being grown, the size of the pot or container, and of course the quality of the compost itself.

The idea of not feeding tomatoes before they start to set fruit is to avoid encouraging too much leafy growth at the expense of flowers, but if you do think they are flagging a bit you could try a weak liquid tomato fertiliser, but not too often.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 12:23 »
As per usual fantastic advice that I didnt know.  Thanks everyone

xx
Tomato and potato disease - Large brown areas and leaf wilting

Started by Cliffsta on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 16, 2012, 21:25
by Growster...
xx
Tomato leaves wilting

Started by upert on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 06, 2018, 05:14
by DHM
thumbdown
Wilting tomato plants

Started by podmichelle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 10:05
by podmichelle
xx
Very sudden wilting of Purple Ukraine tomato

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2023, 18:44
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.497 seconds with 31 queries.