leaf mould

• 71 Replies

DellDGM

• Location: Australia- South Australia trying organic gardening
    • http://farmintheburbs.blogspot.com/
leaf mould
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2007, 11:14 »
this may be a silly question but what is leaf mould and what do you use it for? :?
Dell
Spending time between the garden and the munchkins!
http://farmintheburbs.blogspot.com/

gobs

leaf mould
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2007, 11:19 »
Try second page dell. :)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

DellDGM

• Location: Australia- South Australia trying organic gardening
    • http://farmintheburbs.blogspot.com/
leaf mould
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2007, 11:27 »
sorry must of hit the next button twice  :oops:

gobs

leaf mould
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2007, 11:28 »
You all right, lot of people never read a long thread through. :wink:

David.

leaf mould
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2007, 18:00 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
one bag fer 2 sq yrds

Well I was just sniggering after reading that because my wife suggested collecting leaves and our plot is 2,228 sq. yds. (nearly half an acre) and I bought her a telescopic lawn rake to go out & get them.

Then I remembered I said I would construct a leafmould bay to hold them all.

gobs

leaf mould
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2007, 19:00 »
:lol:  :lol:

Well, we do what we can, don't we?

sweet nasturtium

leaf mould
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2007, 00:56 »
Quote from: "David."
Quote from: "muntjac"
one bag fer 2 sq yrds

Well I was just sniggering after reading that because my wife suggested collecting leaves and our plot is 2,228 sq. yds. (nearly half an acre) and I bought her a telescopic lawn rake to go out & get them.

Then I remembered I said I would construct a leafmould bay to hold them all.

I thought I'd be having a bad time with 480 bags to collect!
The council men are starting to get suspicious as their lovely green bags keep disappearing. :wink:

frazzy

leaf mould
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2007, 11:50 »
our local council drooped a lorry full of leaves for us today so we all turned up at eight O'Clock with wheelbarrows wheelie bins and bags in the rain and had the most fun i,ve had in a while the banter is wonderful all good humored and we were also amazed at the number of big fat juicy worms among the leaves already. we are now all hoping for more deliveries . fingers crossed
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

brucesgirl

leaf mould
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2007, 12:24 »
Hi Nasturtium - if you collect for leaf mould in Epping Forest be careful! It is illegal - so watch out for forest keepers. As I said on one thread before our family have lived only a short step from the forest for 300 years, and one of our family was a forest keeper who would shop his grandma if he could!!

My ancestors used to nick the leaves on the quiet, as we were allowed to trek into the forest once a week to collect fallen wood, so the leaves used to go under that.

mushroom

leaf mould
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2007, 12:26 »
why is it illegal?

sweet nasturtium

leaf mould
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2007, 19:34 »
Thanks brucesgirl for the warning - I think it will be easier for me to pick up the bags that the council have swept up for me.  I don't want to be fighting with people over dead leaves - that would be absurd.  :!:

gobs

leaf mould
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2007, 20:11 »
Quote from: "mushroom"
why is it illegal?

I'd guess, because it's an important part of maintaining the forest's eco-system, the soil of it and the wildlife that the decaying leaves support.

brucesgirl

leaf mould
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2007, 20:53 »
Because the forest is not public property. It now belongs to  the Corporation of  London, but used to belong to private lords of the manor.
The locals used to have rights to use free use of the forests, then they started to be taken away.
A hundred and fifty years ago one of the locals, Thomas Willingale, who lived near my great-grandad ,decided to fight to maintain the commoners rights to lopping.  They built a building called Lopping Hall, which is still in Loughton High Road, to commemorate his victory. He was a real local hero, and he was from the poorest part of the village.

The story is really interesting and  if you google his name you can read all the facts, as my relating of it is based on family talk.

Anyway, you are not supposed to take anything from the forest as it is theft, but as I say us locals knew just how and when!

WG.

leaf mould
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2007, 23:22 »
Quote from: "brucesgirl"
The story is really interesting and  if you google his name you can read all the facts, as my relating of it is based on family talk.
Yup : http://www.willingale.org/history/lopping.htm

mkhenry

leaf mould
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2007, 21:56 »
This post reminded me I put some leaves in an old beehive type composter about 3 years ago.
Because I was having a bit of trouble with my joints I'd left them there undisturbed.
I only jammed them in there to get them out of the way and to stop them blowing everywhere.
So on reading this post I decided to take a look at them.
And there they are,whole leaves almost no sign of breaking down.Almost looking as they were when I shoved them in,and thats after around 3 years.
So break them up or crush them,stick them in plastic bags do anything but dont just leave thgem,they will take forever to break down. :wink:

Also no body as said DO NOT USE LAUREL Leaves they are poisonous or toxic :?
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

xx
What is leaf mould for?

Started by 1st time veg grower on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 20:03
by 1st time veg grower
xx
Leaf mould

Started by LucasAndRichard on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 16, 2008, 22:25
by vegmandan
xx
Leaf Mould

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 13, 2008, 20:07
by waddecar
xx
Leaf Mould!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post November 07, 2012, 22:57
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.567 seconds with 29 queries.