Crop Rotation Question

• 9 Replies

teabelly

Crop Rotation Question
« on: March 29, 2012, 13:54 »
I'm hoping to have a 5yr crop rotation and have split the veg I hope to grow this year into the 5 groups
Group A
Potatoes
Tomatoes

Group B
Peas
Beans

Group C
Purple Sprouting Brocolli
Calabrese
Brussels Sprouts

Group D
Courgettes
Squash
Pumpkins
Sweetcorn

Group E
Leeks
Onions
Parsnips

Do these seem like correct groups?

Also where would I put aubergines, peppers & chillies?

I'm still trying to get my head around this and I think I'm a bit confused...  :wacko:

bigben

Re: Crop Rotation Question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 14:11 »
Check out the link in another part of this site for more info about crop rotation
http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/crop-rotation/index.php
I am not sure about the 3 you mention - my gut feeling is that their placement is not as cut and dried as others and you can fit them in where needed. I am sure others will correct me.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 14:26 »
I use a four-year rotation:

1: potatoes (with leeks going in as earlies are lifted)

2: legumes (peas and beans)

3: Brassicas (cabbage, broccoli)

4: roots and onions

things like tomato, chillie, pepper and aubergine stay in the greenhouse and I grow my courgettes separately in boxes so are not included in my rotations.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 14:39 »
Ive never succeded with chillies or peppers outside as this is my first year with a green house this is were they will be. Aubergines Ive never grown so dont know.

Potatoes and toms are from same family so both vulnerable to blight (Was chatting a random little fellow over some seed pots in a shop who lost all his toms to blight and seemed mighty disappointed when I already knew they were same family  :ohmy: )

Good luck with your rotation - dont over think it  ???

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 18:01 »
The groups look good; parsnip will go anywhere really.

I agree that the chillies / peppers / aubergines should be under cover of some sort.

I'd advise that you try to make the beds for each group about the same size, to avoid headaches in future.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 18:16 »
I see you are also in S Yorkshire teabelly - you'll need a very sunny, sheltered spot and a very good summer to do more than "better than nothing" with outdoor peppers and chillies (aubergines are even more demanding.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

teabelly

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 19:20 »
Thanks everyone, the chillies & peppers did very well in the back garden last year so thought I might give them a go on the plot, covering them with a mini polytunnel thing if needed.

The aubergines I know very little about but thought I'd give them a go anyway :)

emptydraw

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 19:36 »
We use 5 year too but we have a specific roots bed. Each of our beds is 4ft x 24ft Ours goes something like this:

Alliums
Onions
garlic
leeks
spring onions

Spuds
erm....potatoes

Brassica
cabbage
cauliflower
brussels
broccoli

Legumes
broad beans
french beans
runner beans
peas
mangetout
courgettes! (not a pea or bean, but sit nicely under my munty frame.)

Roots
parsnips+
carrot

As sweetcorn, squashes cucumbers etc don't HAVE to conform, they go in any space available (normally the roots bed is only half full of roots) but we also have spare beds for fruit, flowers, salad crops, herbs and anything else that grabs our fancy!

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 23:26 »
I'd say TOm asn spuds in smae group and empty out the pots (or dig out the beds) from the chillis and aubergines onto those beds  at the end of the season, they're all solanums... THe brassicas forma a group and have their own little dance with the spuds depending on whether your soil is acid or alkaline... basically if you lime the brassicas then they should follow directly after the spuds to give the potatoes the most gap from the lime.... if your soill is alkaline then potatoes (and their dressing of sulphur) should follow the brassicas... rest all looks OK though because I grow a lot of alliums and a fair few carrots I have a group that is carrots, celeriac adn parsnips, plus I have a separate group of sweetcorn cos I grow loads....

plot103

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 23:51 »
One thing that occurs to me is that you might be better off swapping groups D and E around. The reason being that you might still have parsnips and leeks in the ground overwinter and into early spring when you are wanting to get ahead and start preparing your potato bed for planting. If you swap them around, group E can follow group C (or B)  quite easily and because group D is tender, it can't go out until around mid-May, after the leeks and parsnips have gone but will be out of the ground long before group A needs to go in.

Just an idea.

xx
Yet another Crop Rotation help & question

Started by Fynnoderee on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 19:21
by TheSpartacat
xx
Question on crop rotation

Started by Hawthorne on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 21:33
by gobs
xx
crop rotation question

Started by Diggin on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 19:10
by sunshineband
xx
Four yr crop rotation question.

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 23:36
by Salmo

Page created in 0.482 seconds with 30 queries.