Runny Jam!

• 20 Replies

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
Runny Jam!
« on: March 21, 2012, 16:04 »
Ive just made a batch of Blueberry & Lime Jam, which I've made before very successfully.  However, this time I made it with frozen blueberries, so did what Val advises in her book and added 10% extra fruit.  I also used jam sugar with pectin, and an extra lime (you use the zest as well as the juice).  When I checked the temperature with my thermometer, it was a good couple of degrees or so above setting, but whereas before it's been a perfect consistency, this time it's really quite runny (almost too runny really).

So, what to do?  Can I put it back in the maslin pan and add some liquid pectin?  Or just boil it for a bit longer?  Or is it too late now?!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Runny Jam!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 17:52 »
I'm sure this has been asked before on here, you could try a forum search.

I think often people re-boil it and then re-sterilise the jars before re-potting.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 18:44 »
So do you just re-boil it to reduce it, or do you need to add more pectin (as in Certo or whatever)?

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 18:47 »

As an avid jammer, I would resist adding extra pectin (although cooking apples may be good).   I would boil for a little longer and have saucers in the freezer.      Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mattwragg94

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 20:04 »
i agree with tony, just boil it for a bit longer. it should solidify more when it cools anyway.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 20:10 »
i agree with tony, just boil it for a bit longer. it should solidify more when it cools anyway.
Do you make jam Matt?
Cheese makes everything better.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 21:06 »
it should solidify more when it cools anyway.
I made it yesterday, and left the jars to cool overnight on the back doorstep so I don't think they'll solidify any more than they have!  I'll just tip them back in the pan and boil some more ...

mattwragg94

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 19:44 »
Do you make jam Matt?

yeh when i have enough fruit :lol: , plus my elderly next door neighbour has had me help her cook since i was very young (including jam), why do you ask?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 20:32 »
Do you make jam Matt?

yeh when i have enough fruit :lol: , plus my elderly next door neighbour has had me help her cook since i was very young (including jam), why do you ask?
You seem to have fitted so much into your 17 years on this planet Matt.

mattwragg94

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 20:35 »
i try my best  :lol:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 20:46 »
Ive just made a batch of Blueberry & Lime Jam, which I've made before very successfully.  However, this time I made it with frozen blueberries, so did what Val advises in her book and added 10% extra fruit.  I also used jam sugar with pectin, and an extra lime (you use the zest as well as the juice).  When I checked the temperature with my thermometer, it was a good couple of degrees or so above setting, but whereas before it's been a perfect consistency, this time it's really quite runny (almost too runny really).

So, what to do?  Can I put it back in the maslin pan and add some liquid pectin?  Or just boil it for a bit longer?  Or is it too late now?!!

I would reboil it and test it with the flake test or on a cold saucer which has been in the freezer.

I wouldn't rely on the thermometre test, some jams need a little more boiling to a set.

Also before you add the sugar to your cooked fruit, it is a good idea to do a pectin set, Very easy, just add a spoonful to  an old jam jar with a little methylated spirits in. Do keep it away from the fruit in the pan tho', you don't want any accidents :lol:.

If you get a solid blob of jelly in the jar, you know you are OK for a good set, if not then add some pectin either commercial or home made.

You will be OK to reboil it tho.

Always a good idea to put a tablespoon of jam into a bowl and leave it in the fridge while you go and have a cuppa ;) If it gives a good set then bring the jam back to the boil and pot it.
It saves the earache and bother of potting it and then finding out that it didn't set. ;)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 09:23 »
Well, I unscrewed my jars and tipped the jam back and boiled it for a further four minutes, testing it on a saucer from the freezer - still no good.  I therefore boiled it for a further six or seven minutes (testing after every couple), and ended up adding a slug of Certo!  I'm pleased to say that after all the palava of re-washing and re-sterilising the jars, it did finally set and is delicious.  

I can only think it was perhaps the fact the fruit was frozen rather than fresh that made the difference, because when I made the same recipe with fresh blueberries it set in no time at all - in fact it was almost too set after the usual four minutes.  However, next time I'll ensure I do the saucer test rather than relying on the thermometer, to avoid having to go through the process twice over!

Thanks for all the comments  :D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 09:25 by cheshirecheese »

Mrs Bee

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 16:05 »
Well done you, for perservering. The more you do the more experienced you will become and you get a feel for when you are nearly at a set ;)

You can also add a cooking apple to your pan when you are simmering the fruit prior to adding the sugar as the apple will add extra pectin naturally.

I always do the methylated spirit pectin test when I make jam from frozen fruit so I can see if I am going to need any of my homemade apple pectin stock or certo.

Do be aware that you can overboil jam beyond its setting point, which results in a nasty boiled taste.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 17:20 »
Thanks Mrs Ball  :)

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 21:34 »

Do be aware that you can overboil jam beyond its setting point, which results in a nasty boiled taste.

............................or in my case - toffee  :D  ::)

xx
Runny Jam

Started by min200 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 21:35
by min200
xx
Runny Chutney

Started by Lee G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 23:30
by Lee G
xx
runny plum jam

Started by the newboy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 12:11
by capt nemo rtd
xx
Runny chutney !

Started by richyrich7 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 20:37
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 36 queries.