Carrot and Parsnip bed preparation

• 5 Replies

Chappers

• Experienced Member
Carrot and Parsnip bed preparation
« on: March 21, 2012, 04:07 »
Last year i emptied a raised bed to a spades depth for carrots and parsnips. i then riddled the soil back in to remove all the stones. I understand that manure and carrots dont normally mix but would it be ok for me to put a good layer of manure in the bed before filling it with the riddled soil.

cheers Paul
Chappers

27th on the waiting list !!! NOT

Now a 1/3 plot owner :-)

Benandbill

Re: Carrot and Parsnip bed preparation
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 05:43 »
Probably not if you don't mind carrots that look like weird hands.  Personally I don't care what my carrots look like as long as they're edible and tasty.  I do have a knack for growing the world's tiniest carrots though so I'm definitely not doing it quite right yet.

With my parsnips I used a strong stick and in an angled winding motion hollowed out a cone shape for them to grow down in and filled it up with a mixture of stoneless compost and hard sand.  I sprinkled seeds on top and covered then they grew down quite well in this, unobstructed and quite lengthy.  Some were left in too long though so they rotted.

I've never used raised beds though.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:45 »
There are 2 main causes of forking of parsnips and carrots, the main one is the root encountering an obstruction in the soil and having to divert round it, and is usually a stone but sometimes a lump of compost.

The second cause is when the root finds something irresistible just "out of reach" and grows towards it - this is usually a nutrient-rich lump of manure which of course is also likely to be temptingly moist as well.

I think if you bury your manure deep enough not to cause forking problems it will be too deep to be of much use to the crops, but don't starve your plants either if your soil is very poor.

DD says he never feeds his carrots but his soil is probably better than my sandy stuff - I add either Growmore or dried chicken poo a few weeks before sowing and fork it in well to make sure it's evenly mixed - after that they're on their own, although the parsnips usually get another top-dressing later in the summer.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 09:39 »
Your parsnips will go down as far as the manure layer and fork. This may give you a ferfectly good root to eat but the roots should be penetrating deep. The fine end of the tap root will go down many feet if it is allowed to and will not suffer drought.

bigben

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 10:31 »
I am with Benandbill. Last year I used a metal pole and moved it round in a circle to create a cone shaped hole. I filled this with sand and compost and dropped in my parsnips sown in paper tubes. I got my some very good parsnips but some forked.

This year I am planning on doing the same thing but sowing the parsnips direct. The sand/compost mix should be a different colour to the rest and not have seeds in it. Hopefully there should be no confusion about anything that pops up from the different coloured soil so I will not be weeding out my own parsnips which happened a couple of years ago!

By sowing direct they should not fork because they hit the bottom of the paper tube - We will see.

Chappers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 15:18 »
Thanks for all the replies, i think i will opt for the safe approach and just add chicked pellets when i riddle the soil back in and leave the manure out.

cheers Paul

clip
Problem with parsnip and carrot

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2013, 20:38
by Auntiemogs
xx
Carrot and parsnip germination

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 22:58
by TheWhiteRabbit
sad
Carrot & Parsnip Problems

Started by Alfies Dad on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 16:02
by Goosegirl
xx
Carrot,Parsnip soil tilth

Started by belto on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 22:30
by vegmandan

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 28 queries.