Carrot & Parsnip Problems

• 10 Replies

Alfies Dad

Carrot & Parsnip Problems
« on: February 03, 2010, 16:42 »
Last year I grew Early Nantes and Autumn King Carrots and Gladiator Parsnips (Marshalls seeds) on a new veg plot which had previously been grassland.  Soil is fairly light and sandy.
The problem I had was that all roots developed a brown canker type disease which left nearly all of the crop rotting.

Any ideas on what caused this problem and how to avoid this year would be appreciated.  Also any suggestions for alternative varieties to grow to minimise problem.

On a seperate note, having spent nearly £100 on seeds from Marshalls last year and finding some very poor results, I will not be buying from them again. Perhaps I should try Suttons?

Alfies Dad

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Carrot & Parsnip Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 16:47 »
I'll whizz this to the GYO forum, but please pop back to the Welcome Forum to introduce yourself.

Grassland turned to growing can harbour a few species of nasties, which will get better with time. Did you use any protection against carrot fly? They can wound parsnips which in turn can let in canker.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

MoreWhisky

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 17:27 »
£100 wow how muchland u got
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 18:22 »
I grew Gladiator last year on my sandy soil and got a great crop, although I would be lying if I said they were 100% canker-free.

Gladiator are supposed to have some canker resistance; perhaps growing carrots near them is just providing too much encouragement to the carrot flies.

I would move and/or net (or give up with!) the carrots; netting parsnips is much more difficult due to their height and the area they take up and shouldn't really be necessary if you are prepared for a little bit of damage.

(Slightly high-risk advice here; others may disagree!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 18:25 »
I grow mine together & cover with enviromesh, just held up with a few short posts.

Not a trace of fly this year, more effective than the polythene barrier previously used, (although that was an improvement on nothing at all).

Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 19:09 »
I grew Gladiator parsnips from Marshalls and they grew well although the ones I still have in the ground have some canker. This was I believe caused / excelerated by carrot root fly. I also plan to cover them with Enviromesh this year to see if I can eliminate the problem completely. I started lifting the parsnips in early August and still have a reasonable crop left.

I also grew lots of other Marshall seeds with great success. I think there is a bit of luck involved when sowing direct i.e. soil condition, temperature, pests etc. I must admit though I try to start seeds off in controlled conditions to get the best germination rates.

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 20:55 »
Don't wireworm like grassland? Do they do damage to roots?

horsepooisgood

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 08:39 »
I grow mine together & cover with enviromesh, just held up with a few short posts.

Not a trace of fly this year, more effective than the polythene barrier previously used, (although that was an improvement on nothing at all).

Bit early for the fly Dave!!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 08:56 »
I have carrots in the ground still with no trace of fly! :tongue2:

cudders

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 13:12 »
Not had great results last two years, same with parsnips..

Last chance saloon for both this year!  :mad:

Cudders

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 16:02 »
Wireworms are more prevalent on newly dug grassland. They will get less as you cultivate the soil.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Carrot and parsnip germination

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 22:58
by TheWhiteRabbit
clip
Problem with parsnip and carrot

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2013, 20:38
by Auntiemogs
xx
Carrot and Parsnip bed preparation

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 15:18
by Chappers
xx
Parsnip problems

Started by alfman on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 11, 2015, 17:33
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 1.713 seconds with 32 queries.