rotavator

• 18 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: rotavator
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 18:45 »
The point about regular use of rotavators is well made, but if you need to rotavate every couple of weeks to get rid of newly emerging plants, you'd have the bed / area out of commission for the best part of a season.

There is also the risk, depending on soil type, of creating a hard pan underneath the rotavator level - causing drainage problems.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 19:03 »

I also found loads of eelworms

You must have pretty good eyesight!
DD

I haven't,nor x ray vision.What I thought were eelworms were about1/2-3/4 inch long and yellowy brown in colour,as I said loads of them.
Were they wireworms   Thanks Carl

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 20:21 »
The point about regular use of rotavators is well made, but if you need to rotavate every couple of weeks to get rid of newly emerging plants, you'd have the bed / area out of commission for the best part of a season.

There is also the risk, depending on soil type, of creating a hard pan underneath the rotavator level - causing drainage problems.

Quite true, but if you work it through as you plant then it is a viable & proven option.
As each type of plant goes in, there's less to rotovate more time for conventional weeding with a hoe. Better for some than weedkiller  :)
Once the plots clear then it's easier next year to double dig a section, rotating the sections each year will help stop the pan effect.

I think at the end of the day there's always going to be the issue of re-growth with whatever people do, as long as new growers are made aware of this then perhaps less would be down hearted and give up ? My lovely clear plot I hand dug and weeded back end of last year looks like a green lawn of baby poppies ! Out comes the Hoe next visit  ::)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 21:53 »
Thanks for the explanation Richy, I'd wondered about the practicalities and couldn't quite get my head round it!

xx
Rotavator and weeds....

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 11:01
by tode
xx
using a rotavator....am i wrong???

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 13:35
by jimbeekeeper
xx
Digging and Rotavator Decisions! Help!

Started by mrsmarieanne on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 04, 2015, 17:07
by m1ckz
xx
Can anyone suggest a good rotavator?

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 31, 2008, 21:43
by Bigbadfrankie

Page created in 0.539 seconds with 28 queries.