Do we really need potato fertiliser?

• 13 Replies

mparveen

Do we really need potato fertiliser?
« on: March 11, 2012, 09:21 »
I will be sowing my Pentland Javelin & Estima today and have the offer of having some potato fertiliser.

Because we grew our Maris Piper's last year at home in a raised bed we never used any!

Please advise

A novice gardener and looking forward to getting seriously fit with my allotment!

The allotment is 16 ft wide and roughly 90 ft long split into 8 plots!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Do we really need potato fertiliser?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 09:31 »
Potatoes are heavy feeders and benefit from fertilisers. However, I don't use a lot on my early crop where my objective is to harvest small "new" spuds.

I'm not sure what the connection is with growing in raised beds and not having to feed them.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 09:33 »
What did you use to fill your raised bed last year? If you added bagged compost/manure it amy not have needed any more.

I think you get a bigger crop if you can add manure or fertiliser as potatoes are a hungry crop.

sort of snap ;)

mparveen

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 09:38 »
What did you use to fill your raised bed last year? If you added bagged compost/manure it amy not have needed any more.

I think you get a bigger crop if you can add manure or fertiliser as potatoes are a hungry crop.

sort of snap ;)

The raised bed was an experiment last year!

We did use a lot of bagged compost and we only grew 15 Maris Piper seed potatoes and we did get a very good crop too but we didn't space them enough to have a big crop.

On top of that we grew tomatoes (romano), lettuce, spring onions, and carrots.

The raised was only 12 ft x 5ft so wasn't large enough to grow a lot.

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 09:55 »
Ive never used potato fertilizer but ive always used a mix of fresh compost and bought compost with a bit of horse muck thrown in. Would I get more spuds or bigger using a fertilizer as well?
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 09:56 »
Horse muck is fertiliser!

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 10:03 »
Horse muck is fertiliser!

doh!....of course its fertilizer...what the heck am I rambling on about.   :wacko:

Totty

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 10:10 »
Organically add as much horse muck, compost, chicken manure pellets. Your ground will also be in perfect condition for whatever crop goes there next. The inorganic route is to use specific potato fertilisers and growmore and things like that. You will grow fine potatoes with this but you will need to add more fertilisers for following plants. My advice is to feed the soil, not the plant. Add as much muck as you can! :)

mparveen

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 10:18 »
We only got the allotment in August last year and I didn't get down there till late October as husband refused to go!

I started to clear a lot of the plots, but didn't have enough time to get manure and feed the soil!

As I want to grow as organically as possible I am not a big fan of 'tampering with nature' and I would prefer to use natural methods of fertilisation! i.e. horse manure, etc

I have dug the soil over and found it is a mixture of medium clay and extremely crumbly soil so am happy with it!  As for manure that will be a different matter as that won't be done for at least another 6 months

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 10:50 »
My plot is still fairly new to me.

The first year I dug and planted as I cleared space using a bit of chicken manure pellets for fertilizing. Crops were reasonable given I don't know how the soil had been managed prior to me getting it

I managed to get some cow manure which went down over about a 1/3 of the plot n December and this was covered until I put my spuds in in spring. I did no watering on the spuds and managed to have enough to last from May until March the following year.

Brassicas went where the spuds were and I'm still harvesting sprouts and cabbage (this will be the last of them though) Roots are going in this bit next.

Last July I got some more cow manure which went down again where this years spuds are going. Some may say a waste of ground, but at the moment feeding the ground is more important.

By the end of this year I will have manure all my plot and will be starting again. All I can say is compared to my neighbours who use artificial fertilisers I seem to get better crops, less weeds and have to water a whole lot less. We have quite sandy soil on a slope so it does have a tendency to dry out.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 10:55 »
As I want to grow as organically as possible I am not a big fan of 'tampering with nature' and I would prefer to use natural methods of fertilisation! i.e. horse manure, etc

As for manure that will be a different matter as that won't be done for at least another 6 months

You could dig in some chicken manure pellets or BF&B (blood fish and bone)  they're both organic and readily available from garden centres and Wilkos etc.

Not all fertilisers are non-organic, you can get organic potato fertiliser as well - so just read the packets  :D

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 15:23 »
Like others, we manure our potato plot before planting. But when we actually plant the potatoes, we first add about 1 tsp of regular fertilizer to the bottom of the planting hole, knock a bit of soil in, set the potato on top, then cover with soil.

We find this gives the potato a bit of extra boost until it can access the manure. We've done this for many many years and always get a wonderful crop.

mparveen

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 16:26 »

As for manure that will be a different matter as that won't be done for at least another 6 months

You could dig in some chicken manure pellets or BF&B (blood fish and bone)  they're both organic and readily available from garden centres and Wilkos etc.

Not all fertilisers are non-organic, you can get organic potato fertiliser as well - so just read the packets  :D

Wow, what a wonderful response!

I went to Aldi just over an hour ago and found that they've got FB&B 4kg for £3.99!!!!!!!!

As I never got round to planting the Pentland Javelin (because of so many roots in the plot) where the potatoes are going, I've decided I will be buying this FB&B 2moro and spread this before I plant!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 17:53 »
Manure is more of a soil improve - soil structure - than reliable fertiliser.

FBB will be fine, but specific potato fertiliser is even better in that it is specifically designed to provide the right balance of nutrients for the plants.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Potato fertiliser

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 09, 2014, 09:02
by mumofstig
xx
Do you use a potato fertiliser?

Started by kippers garden on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 26, 2011, 12:53
by azubah
xx
Potato fertiliser

Started by Lee1978 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 16:59
by Lee1978
xx
Potato fertiliser

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 27, 2021, 13:23
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 30 queries.