Do you use a potato fertiliser?

• 12 Replies

kippers garden

• http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/
Do you use a potato fertiliser?
« on: February 25, 2011, 15:32 »
I have always dug manure in Autumn into my potato bed ready for the following April when i plant my potatoes.  I have never used a potato fertiliser and always got an ok crop from them.

I was wondering if i could get a fantastic crop if i used a special potato fertiliser?  However, i have 160 spuds (Marfona x 50 2nd earlies, and piccasso maincrop x 50 and Sarpo mira x 60 maincrop)....if i used fertiliser for all my potatoes then wouldn't it become expensive?

How do you all fertilise your potatoes?

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
Re: Do you use a potato fertiliser?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 15:34 »
i sprinkle growmore once ive planted and when the neighbouring plants meet i sprinke a little more and thats  it  :)

Rhiannon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 15:43 »
I normaly use Growmore and manure for my Runner beans, however this year i got some Nutrimate and a big bag of potato fertilizer from the supplier of my seed potatoes . Yeild is normaly Ok but never anything special, i grow in bags as we are very prone to scab, ive tried Sulphur stuff but it does not do a lot of good.

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 15:52 »
Only having a rear garden which we have mostly turned into raised bed vegetable growing beds we are not able to plant on anywhere near the scale you do.

On the potato front we manage to find space for between 30 > 50 tubers, on those we use growmore and are pleased with the results we get.

Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 17:20 »
I like to put wilted comfrey leaves under the sets and then follow on with Growmore as I earth up. Pleased with the results, but this year the comfrey is late so I'll use it when I get as  liquid manure and see how it goes.
You can spend a lot of money on fancy preparations and additives and i'm not sure any benefit from them justifies their cost. i like to keep things simple and Growmore is about as far as i go with buy-in fertilisers.
Little by little a bird makes its nest!

Swing Swang

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 17:52 »
Spuds are hungry. N P K and Mg can be supplied with the liberal use of organic manures, and if I had plenty of manure I'd probably only use a bit of brimstone on my patch. As it is I use a potato-specific inorganic fertiliser as well as brimstone.

Fertiliser goes in the bottom of the trench and is mixed in with the soil/compost so as not to burn the spuds, brimstone gets sprinkled on to of the 'ridges'.

Best spudswe ever grew were on land that had housed chickens for 20 years - no fertiliser in the first year - on the chalky chiltern's so scab was an issue as no brimstone used.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 17:55 by Swing Swang »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 17:54 »
I use potato fertiliser.  I think it's gives a good crop.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 17:56 »
When we plant our potatoes, we dig a hole, add about a tablespoon of fertilizer, scratch a bit of soil over that, set the potato in and cover. We manure almost every fall but find the bit of fertilizer kick starts the plants and we always get a fantastic, tasty crop.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 18:08 »
Yes I use a potato fertiliser. General fertiser has too much nitrogen and you get too much top. I use to use Q4 which is the type you need because it is high high in Potassium. Then I realised rose fertiliser has a similar composition  and there are always rose fertilisers in the sale at the end of the season.  I apply it when hoeing up.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 19:49 »
I use pigeon muck. The smellier the better. Wonderful stuff. Can't get enough of it. One man's rubbish is another man's treasure.

braders1234

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 20:51 »
I use pigeon muck. The smellier the better. Wonderful stuff. Can't get enough of it. One man's rubbish is another man's treasure.

Do you do anything to prepare it, or is just straight into the ground?

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 23:55 »
At long last, I keep saying "I saw this and that in a post when I joined" this forum a couple of years ago and for once I actually kept this as a link as it did sound, and has proven, very useful

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=31465.0

Don't care about anyone else but I'm going to give myself a big  :D
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 12:53 »

Do you do anything to prepare it, or is just straight into the ground?

I just dig it straight into the ground, feathers, dead birds, eggs, and all, (most of it is really horrible) but I always leave it at least couple of months to soak in, and give it another dig to mix it if necessary...which it usually is! I don't sow seeds into it, just put potatoes or plants big enough to survive it. It can get a bit slimy for a while.

xx
Potato fertiliser

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 27, 2021, 13:23
by mumofstig
xx
Potato fertiliser

Started by Lee1978 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 16:59
by Lee1978
xx
Potato fertiliser

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 02, 2010, 20:52
by shokkyy
xx
Do we really need potato fertiliser?

Started by mparveen on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 11, 2012, 17:53
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.471 seconds with 29 queries.