Germination of Rosemary seeds

• 11 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Germination of Rosemary seeds
« on: March 04, 2012, 17:33 »
I've had mine in the heated propagator at about 20C for over 2 weeks now and nothing showing yet. Anyone any experience of this? Is it time to resow? I wanted to grow on about half a dozen plants for family members

Kleftiwallah

Re: Germination of Rosemary seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 17:35 »

You will find it far easier to take cuttings and grow those on.   ;)   Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

RobbieG83

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 17:36 »
i'd give it another week or so some seeds take 3-4 weeks to germinate and it always happens when you are about to give up on them
When i die i shall go to may. It will be green. Not environmentally correct green, for things will just be, without measurement or judgement, but actually the colour green in all its thousand shining faces.

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 18:11 »
Not that i'm trying to put you off, but...  I've tried many times to grow rosemary from seed in the past and have given up hope of it ever working  :ohmy:
They are meant to be erratic to grow from seed and I think I only ever managed to get a couple to germinate, then only one made it to around 1 inch... and promptly died as soon as I potted it on.  :(
Even trying to grow from cuttings has been a failure for me so I resorted to buying a grown plant...
having said that, you've nothing to lose from leaving them for another couple of weeks - apparently they like well drained soil and you need to be careful not to over-water (leaving soil to almost dry out between watering), especially once they have germinated

I hope you have more luck with growing it than i've had!

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 18:15 »
Not that i'm trying to put you off, but...  I've tried many times to grow rosemary from seed in the past and have given up hope of it ever working  :ohmy:
They are meant to be erratic to grow from seed and I think I only ever managed to get a couple to germinate, then only one made it to around 1 inch... and promptly died as soon as I potted it on.  :( 

This is exactly the same as i experienced. I have just bought myself a rosemary bush for £5 at the garden centre, and it looks fab - so I am just not going to bother with rosemary seeds ever again.
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 21:04 »
Thanks, I'll give them another two weeks and take on board what you say about dryish conditions. If all else fails, I have a bush - any advice about taking cuttings?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 21:58 »
I can't think of any plant easier to successfully root cuttings from - just cut off a few 6-9" sprigs, strip off the leaves from the lower 3" or so, and push into your garden soil (or pot up if you prefer.)

Keep the cuttings reasonably well watered and in a few months you will have new plants (I've replaced my rosemary bush with cuttings at least 4 times in the last 12 years and given loads away - they are foolproof if you don't try to grow them in waterlogged conditions, either as cuttings or bushes.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 10:26 »
Just a brief update. I gave up on the seed-germination, took cuttings as advised and sowed leek in the seed pan of compost where the rosemary had refused to germinate. Sod's Law, what is now appearing amongst the leek seedlings, five weeks after I sowed them? Yes! Three or four Rosemary seedlings

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 11:44 »
 :lol: Tis always the way  :nowink:

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 11:47 »
I tried a few times without success then tried one batch by simply putting the seed on the soil and not covering at all. Then misted them with fine spray of water every day.. Got quite a few to germinate..  But I do agree that cuttings are best!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 12:03 »
Could be Rosemary's way of getting its own back by having a larf at the expense of the nasty humans who keep snipping the ends off their shoots!  :unsure:

Be interesting to see how the two methods compare (my money would be on the cuttings to out-perform the seedlings in the short term.)

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 19:42 »
i think i managed 2 plants out of the last lot i sowed, i basicaly left them in the house until they germinated.i now have 2 good plants.
the germination is very poor but i persevered because i like to look at my garden and know most plants have been reared from a seed.
however, taking cuttings is far easier.

xx
Rosemary... germination

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 12, 2007, 23:08
by Flower
xx
Sage and Rosemary germination times

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 23, 2013, 13:43
by al78
xx
Temperature and Germination of Seeds?

Started by francisgreen on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 28, 2009, 07:25
by Eatyourgreens
xx
Germination rate of 'old' seeds

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 25, 2014, 21:20
by gremlin

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 32 queries.