Mixed up amarylis

• 10 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Mixed up amarylis
« on: March 01, 2012, 17:39 »
It's not the plant's fault poor thing.  Bought as a rescue case from work January 2011 as a dry bulb going ultra cheap in the post Christmas clearance.  It flowered last spring after being potted up very late as far as it was concerned and then grew away like crazy.  Waited and waited for the foliage to start dying back but that has only just started now.

So if I dry it off now is that totally going to blow its brain or could I get away with it  :unsure:

I'm fine with outdoor stuff but still trying to break my black thumb curse on houseplants  ;)  :lol: 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Mixed up amarylis
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 18:49 »
I'd just reduce watering a bit, so it dies back slowly.

Hopefully as it's had such a long recovery period it will bloom again next winter

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 20:41 »
The bit of the bulb I can see at the top of the compost looks really fat and full, so will dry it off slowly and hope for flowers later this year  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 20:50 »
I'd just reduce watering a bit, so it dies back slowly.

Hopefully as it's had such a long recovery period it will bloom again next winter

Should have built itself up nicely  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 21:01 »
It's a rather nice white one, so hoping for a double flower spike next time  :D

The houseplant lady at my old job told me off good and proper for saying I was death to all houseplants and said I just wasn't concentrating, so I've been trying to improve my skills on rescue cases ever since.  Don't want to spend a lot on potential victims of the black thumb  :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 05:43 »
Soooooo I cut down on the water and now it has a flower spike forming  :wacko:  Don't know who is more confused but I guess I will start watering again  :lol:

Agatha

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 18:31 »
I've just rescued one from one of my clients - she'd cut all the leaves off straight after flowering & chucked it in the garden waste bin as she couldn't be bothered keeping it for another yeae.  I took it home, potted it up & it's now growing a 3rd flower spike!

Maybe yours needed a bit more warmth to flower - is your house very cold?  Mine is arctic in winter apart from one bedroom; the amaryllis there flowers early, but the ones in the living room & utility are just starting to produce flower spikes now.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 20:57 »
Its been on the kitchen widowsill all winter - not super warm, but not cold.  My house is old and has thick walls so it pretty cosy  :)

I'll put it down to it being a wizened half dead bulb when I bought it.  Amazed its done so well so far and like I said, its a fat bulb now so must be OK.  Flower spike is now 30cm tall and its growing new leaves  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 20:59 »
That sounds suspiciously like success with a house plant to me  :lol: :lol: :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 21:34 »
OMG shush  :ohmy:  It will hear you and go into one  :lol:

I got told off by the houseplant lady at my old job who said I could grow houseplants, I just wasn't concentrating  :blush:  My still alive collection now includes 2 moth orchids, a spider plant, mother-in-laws tongue, a rescue bonsai, my 10p gloxinia bulb and this rescue amarylis  :lol:  We don't talk about the others ...............  ::)

Agatha

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 12:00 »
Sounds like you are very good with houseplants - that's quite a selection you have & not all the easiest things to grow either.

xx
amarylis

Started by Selkie on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post December 12, 2007, 15:49
by Trillium
xx
Best mixed coloured and scented sweet peas

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post July 18, 2015, 17:23
by surbie100

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 37 queries.