Identification of raspberries from dormant canes

• 1 Replies

Cabbie37

Identification of raspberries from dormant canes
« on: February 27, 2012, 08:52 »
Howdy... I've moved to a new plot this year which has a corner smothered by a jungle of raspberry canes. By the way they cropped this year, I am of the opinion they are Autumn fruiting varieties. I started to sort them out yesterday to re-site them into orderly rows and clear the disorder. It became apparent to me as I lookd more closely that there are two varieties. One variety has quite tall single thickish canes, maybe 4 ft?  A deep reddish-brown colour and thornless. The other variety are slightly shorter, somewhat more spindly, a grey-ish brown colour smothered with tiny thorns. The canes seem to have the tendancy to 'split' and throw out side shoots from the main stem.

From what known varieties you have on your plot, any ideas what the 2 varieties I have may be?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance...

Scotch Thistle

Re: Identification of raspberries from dormant canes
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 20:27 »
I took over a plot at the start of the year with two rows of rasp canes on it. I didn't know what they were, so after some research I resolved to cut down any then showed signs of having fruited last year. When I started the process I realised the one type had all fruited the previous year, and so must be autum fruiters. I cut all these down and then added some. Chicken poo pellets before mulching.
From the other type I ended up removing about a third of the canes - all the ones that seemed to have fruited already. Incidentally, I didn't need to cut these, they came away at ground level very easily. I also fed and mulched these.
Hope this helps
Good luck

xx
raspberries canes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 18:52
by mdjlucan
xx
How many raspberries canes??

Started by kentishgal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 16, 2012, 19:28
by VegGirl7
xx
raspberries canes

9 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 22:49
by Ma and Pa Snip
xx
raspberries canes

7 Replies
Last post October 26, 2011, 19:43
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 36 queries.