Couch grass in asparagus bed

• 5 Replies

Hampshire Hog

Couch grass in asparagus bed
« on: February 26, 2012, 17:41 »
Hi all this morning I pulled loads of couch roots out of my asparagus bed.
I have it "resting" in a pile but it is destined for burning.
My question is should I rest too now and just look forward to my asparagus or should I allow some couch to pop up and nuke the bed with glycophosphate. (I am wary of killing of the asparagus spears as well as the couch)

Timing is everything any thoughts guys (+ ladies)

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Couch grass in asparagus bed
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 17:47 »
I suspect it may be too early in the growing season for glyphosate to have a significant effect on weeds.  However, you could try allowing a couple of bits to grow and applying the weedkiller carefully e.g. by putting some on a sponge and wiping the grass so that none falls onto the asparagus.  It is a risky strategy though.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 17:55 »
I get lots of couch in my asparagus as well. But I always wait until after a good rain, when the soil is loose and the couch slips out easier. I get most of it that way. The rest, when everything had dried up, gets a head's-on short spritz from a hand sprayer of glyphosphate. I aim only for the growing head if possible to minimize any outer drifting of spray and it seems to work fine - provided its not a breezy or windy day. As Yorkie says, glyphosphates work only on actively growing plants, not residual top growth that's hibernating.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 18:05 »
Let the couch grow some leaves and then spray it.

As long as the spears are not showing glyphosate will not harm them as it is broken down as soon as it touches soil. Just check that they are not just under the surface where glyphosate might penetrate if the soil is loose.

The asparagus does not usually put its head up until April. Although last year I seem to remember the odd spear at the end of March.

It was perhaps a mistake to pull some of the couch rhizomes out. There will be a few broken bits that will remain dormant for a while and then start to grow. Untouched you would be spraying leaves from the end of rhizomes and the glyphosate would work right down them.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 18:10 »
Another strategy is to half bury drinking yogurt pots with glycosphate in the soil and dunk leaves in, works for bindweed too

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 18:21 »
Thanks all

I think I did a good job of clearing the couch bed, leaving some space for the grass I want to grow there. I am confident that I will get a chance soon to test out your useful suggestions

Cheers HH

xx
Couch grass in asparagus bed!

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 29, 2014, 08:55
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Couch grass on asparagus bed

Started by Paulj on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 29, 2013, 14:00
by JayG
xx
couch grass

Started by markp76 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 21:01
by jb
xx
Couch Grass

Started by Missey on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 30, 2019, 18:02
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.706 seconds with 36 queries.